Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Gentoo and KDE 4.2.3 and I also have Xfce4 installed. My problem is, when I'm using KDE and I try opening anything with Dolphin file manager, Thunar opens ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thunar takes over Dolphin (SOLVED)

I'm using Gentoo and KDE 4.2.3 and I also have Xfce4 installed. My problem is, when I'm using KDE and I try opening anything with Dolphin file manager, Thunar opens instead. This happens even if I insert a Data DVD and select open with Dolphin. I know I did not set this to happen, so I really don't know why it's doing it or how to change it. Anyone else had this problem?
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 05-11-2009 at 04:00 AM.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Hi Mike,
    Did you install Xfce after KDE? Is it possible that during such install the default application for file management changed to Thunar from Dolphin?
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Yes, that is what happened apparently, I have found a few links that point to very similar problems, such as Thunar taking over Nautilus, but I haven't found the answer that works for me.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/thunar/+bug/35997
    This is an old bug, but if you see the comments, users are still having problems with it in 2009. I tried a couple of the suggestions in the comments sections and it hasn't changed anything yet. I'll keep looking because this is really annoying for me. Thanks.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, Mike

Sorry I don't have a fix to offer up, but it's things like this is why I've never liked to mix desktop enviroments on the same system. It seems like each DE wants to be in control of the system, and sometimes the weirdness can be really hard to track down, or it might not even show up for weeks, or months down the road.

Hope you are able to find a simple solution.
    oz

Hiya ozar and Thanks.
    I did manage to find a setting within KDE4 system-settings>Default Applications>File Manager. It was set to "Open folders with Thunar", I can change that to Nautilus but not Dolphin....strange, you'd think it would have Dolphin listed as a file manager.

Bump!

A bump for hope.
    *crosses fingers*

Ok, this has been solved. Apparently Dolphin was never installed to begin with. I installed Konqueror and that worked as a file manager, so I just got curious and tried to launch Dolphin from the command line:
    Code:
    Dolphin: command not found
    So I just installed Dolphin
    Code:
    emerge -1 kde-base/dolphin:4.2
    I was under the impression that Dolphin was an integral part of KDE and would be included in the base install of KDE.