Find the answer to your Linux question:
It's a warning for konqueor users around. I use it only as a file manager, it does pretty good for most of the time. But there is this little cute ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Angry Konqueror FM almost drove me insane. Seriously.

It's a warning for konqueor users around. I use it only as a file manager, it does pretty good for most of the time.

But there is this little cute and seemingly innocent function, which is an automatic filter. You type in field, say, "txt", and all files that do not have "txt" on their filenames, on the folder, will be filtered out.

So far, so good.

Maybe I'm wrong, but intuitively I'd think that if I then press control+a, to "select all", I'd be selecting only the files shown by the filter, that's quite reasonable to expect, IMHO.

But that's not the case.

If you filter for something, and then there are mostly files you want to delete, then you select all, and select out just one or two that you do not want yo delete, when you press to delete, you'd not be deleting only the files you saw on the filter, you'd be deleting all the files in that folder, except for those you've selected out.

That is, "control + a" does not select only the files we see on the filter, but all files on the folder.

Today I've just erased permanently everything I had on my home folder. Except for the hidden folders and a few ones that I saved accidentaly. This is the sort of thing that makes people get a gun and go out randomly killing people until they suicide. Luckily I don't have a gun.

Yes, I know, there is the option to "delete" to the trash can, and there is the confirmation dialog before to the actual deletion (unless you choose to not have it, which is a possible option). But... I was just not expecting that, and since I was going to delete a lot of files, never occured to me do double-check the list, I've just confirmed. I only realized only it came with some message saying that it couldn't for some reason delete some file more deeply localized on the subdirectory structure, which immediately brought my attention, WTF style.

I'll see what ext3grep can do for me now.

Linux Guru
    That's a nasty one.

You should report the bug so it can get fixed. I'd first try to report to the packages of your distro, because I am not sure if that filter is a stock functionality of konqueror. I think that at least in the past such functionality was not on regular konqueror, it had to be added with some manual work. So maybe it's an addon that your distro added in which case reporting it at bugs.kde.org will not help.

PS. It seems that it has been reported upstream. See this:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=156450

You should make some noise on that thread, I am amazed that such bug has been marked as "Severity: normal", I'd rather consider it critical when it can potentially help you to destroy all your data.

Linux Newbie
    Yes, it isn't there by default, but it's not like a plugin either, it's just a simple customization.

Thanks, I'll register there and do that.

Ext3grep did quite a good job, it couldn't restore it all, for some reason, but it was reasonably more than 50%, I'd say that about 75% but I'm just guessing the percentages here. It's not a very user-friendly application, but it's on its initial stages, and if you google about it, just until a few years ago, it was thought to be impossible to do in ext3, or at least some people said so.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I always make sure that I have the "confirm to delete" option enabled with any file manager. I've almost done what you did a bunch of times with Konqueror, and I agree that if I had lost everything (remember to backup, backup, backup, and then backup again) I would be looking to practice human sacrifice on someone as well...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    That's why I hardly use a graphic file manager at all. At most, and only for some relatively safe tasks, I use mc. I am comfortable with CLI anyway, except when I have to review large image collections. It's about the only time when a graphical fm makes any sense to me.

However, I agree that if konqueror relies on a visual paradigm, then it shouldn't do things that you can't see (like select files that are not currently in your view). It's simple logic.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    ...I agree that if konqueror relies on a visual paradigm, then it shouldn't do things that you can't see (like select files that are not currently in your view). It's simple logic.
    And I think most here would agree with that, 100%. That particular "feature" has almost cost me the farm more than once.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!