Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have chown /opt folder to my user id so that i can store files there. I also have /.Trash folder which is chmod 1777. Now when i delete a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Deleting files from /opt folder does not show up in Trash folder

I have chown /opt folder to my user id so that i can store files there. I also have /.Trash folder which is chmod 1777.

Now when i delete a file which belongs to me from /opt it ends up
    in /.Trash/1000/ folder, but which i click on nautilus trash icon,
    it shows trash as empty.

The above behavior is only for /(root) partition. When i mount removable media and delete files, they promptly show up in my trash and i can empty them.

I've tried to search on google.. but to no avail. If someone knows how to fix this, it would be a big help.

thanks

I can't understand your question correctly.
    Are you saying,that deleting files (using X) from /opt doesn't show up in .Trash?

If you are deleting from command line,.the files won't be placed in .Trash
    Only when you delete it using X (right click + trash ) those fiels willbe found under
    .Trash.

Is /opt created as a separate partition?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Let me rephrase my question. I am using nautilus to delete files. When i delete from my home folder they end up in the trash can.. but when i delete from /opt folder (it part of the / partition). I have only 2 partitions (/ and /home). /opt directory is owned by me..so i can copy and delete files from this directory just fine.

When i delete files from /opt/, they end up under /.Trash/1000/ directory.. but
    the trash can show empty. I have to manually go to the /.Trash/1000/ directory to delete these files.

Does this make it any clearer ?

but
    the trash can show empty
    When you delete from /opt,Your Trash icon shows empty even if you have files on .Trash ? -is that question?
    Try Desktop Refresh , does that shows deleted files?
    I have to manually go to the /.Trash/1000/ directory to delete these files
    Even if you don't see any files ,just Right click + Trash . I guess that should work.
    Go to /.Trash/1000/ directory verify it.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    When you delete from /opt,Your Trash icon shows empty even if you have files on .Trash ? -is that question?
    Try Desktop Refresh , does that shows deleted files?
    Yeah! That's the question and doing refresh doesn't help. Besides this is not a windows system

Even if you don't see any files ,just Right click + Trash . I guess that should work.
    Go to /.Trash/1000/ directory verify it.
    Like i said, the files do end up in /.Trash/1000/ directory, but trash can does not
    show them.

Like i said, the files do end up in /.Trash/1000/ directory, but trash can does not show them
    I guess then it's an issue with X ..are you using KDE or GNOME?what's your distro?
    -----

Just Joined!
    I guess then it's an issue with X ..are you using KDE or GNOME?what's your distro?
    It's not an X issue. I guess you are not a desktop guy. And btw, I'm not a newbie. It's gvfs related issue. And nautilus is file manager used by gnome.

Linux Guru
    The .Trash directory functions only for the volume/partition that the deleted files came from. For example, if you delete a file from a USB drive, the .Trash files will be on /media/USBdrive/.Trash as an example.

The Trash icon on your desktop looks at the Trash bin for you home partition as far as I am aware.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    The .Trash directory functions only for the volume/partition that the deleted files came from. For example, if you delete a file from a USB drive, the .Trash files will be on /media/USBdrive/.Trash as an example.

The Trash icon on your desktop looks at the Trash bin for you home partition as far as I am aware.
    That's not true. It looks at .Trash folders in all mount partitions. When i delete something from a removable media, the trash icon shows the content. The only partition it is not showing for is "/".

Linux Guru
    What permissions are set on /.Trash as compared to ~/.Trash (or ~/.local/.Trash or the equivalent).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast