Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi All - nearly every day my mouse cursor goes very strange. I am using Kubuntu 8.04.1with kde 3.5.10. The problem seems to stem from firefox - but i haven't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

weird mouse cursor problem

Hi All - nearly every day my mouse cursor goes very strange. I am using Kubuntu 8.04.1with kde 3.5.10.

The problem seems to stem from firefox - but i haven't been able to pin down the exact action that causes it. Suddenly i go to use the mouse and the cursor looks like:

1. A very long text caret (maybe 3 times as high as a normal one).
    2. some shape overlaying the arrow shape.
    3. sometimes other unrecognizable shape.

I tried to ksnapshot it, but the mouse cursor, of course, doesn't show in the snap...

The actual mouse pointer (activator) is at the top of the caret, and somewhere in the middle of the other shapes. This wouldn't be so bad if i could just restart firefox, or even KDE/X but i have to restart my system to get back to normal pointers, I have tried different sets of mouse pointers in config. So far no joy.

Any ideas? Anyone else seen this? I did a search - also no joy.

Thanks
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

try updating firefox?
    maybe for some reason you have a virus or other type of software issue sprouting from a security leak...a quick FF patch might just fix that right up

Quote Originally Posted by Zudo View Post
    try updating firefox?
    Thanks for the response.

This problem has persisted through several Kubuntu installs and several versions of firefox. The cursors look like they might be special purpose (drawing, publishing etc) I am looking at one now that looks like facing square brackets with little boxes where the horizontal lines would be .... sort of like []

It has taken me this long to "ask for directions" but i am at the end of my rope here.

circa 2006

hmmmm...
    do you remember what applications you may have installed before this problem started?
    it may just be an application level issue...try to uninstall and reinstall the most recent application prior to the issue, if that does not work, keep working your way down the chain until you really do "reach the end of your rope" but be sure to back up any important files along the way in case you reach a snag somewhere down the road

solutions...

not trying to be rude here, but i am trying to solve a problem - I don't get the feeling that you have any experience with this problem. Being new to this forum you may be mistaking the newbie designation for an actual newbie - only has to do with the number of posts made.

Sooooo - you may want to spend your time with problems you might actually help with.

Thanks for the thought though

circa 2006

hey there man just cause it's not working for you doesn't mean it's not a possible solution...if you weren't trying to be rude you failed to achieve, but hey, i'm not one to hold it against people...so good luck

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I haven't experienced this problem with Firefox, though it seems to be acting like some other application (perhaps a firefox add-in) is trying to gain control over the pointer. What firefox add-ins do you have installed?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by twoHats View Post
    Hi All - nearly every day my mouse cursor goes very strange. I am using Kubuntu 8.04.1with kde 3.5.10.

The problem seems to stem from firefox - but i haven't been able to pin down the exact action that causes it. Suddenly i go to use the mouse and the cursor looks like:
    1. A very long text caret (maybe 3 times as high as a normal one).
    2. some shape overlaying the arrow shape.
    3. sometimes other unrecognizable shape.
    I tried to ksnapshot it, but the mouse cursor, of course, doesn't show in the snap...
    The actual mouse pointer (activator) is at the top of the caret, and somewhere in the middle of the other shapes. This wouldn't be so bad if i could just restart firefox, or even KDE/X but i have to restart my system to get back to normal pointers, I have tried different sets of mouse pointers in config. So far no joy.
    Any ideas? Anyone else seen this? I did a search - also no joy.
    Thanks
    try updating firefox?
    maybe for some reason you have a virus or other type of software issue sprouting from a security leak...a quick FF patch might just fix that right up
    Thanks for the response.
    This problem has persisted through several Kubuntu installs and several versions of firefox. The cursors look like they might be special purpose (drawing, publishing etc) I am looking at one now that looks like facing square brackets with little boxes where the horizontal lines would be .... sort of like []
    It has taken me this long to "ask for directions" but i am at the end of my rope here.
    hmmmm...
    do you remember what applications you may have installed before this problem started? it may just be an application level issue...try to uninstall and reinstall the most recent application prior to the issue, if that does not work, keep working your way down the chain until you really do "reach the end of your rope" but be sure to back up any important files along the way in case you reach a snag somewhere down the road
    not trying to be rude here, but i am trying to solve a problem - I don't get the feeling that you have any experience with this problem. Being new to this forum you may be mistaking the newbie designation for an actual newbie - only has to do with the number of posts made.
    Sooooo - you may want to spend your time with problems you might actually help with.
    Thanks for the thought though
    hey there man just cause it's not working for you doesn't mean it's not a possible solution...if you weren't trying to be rude you failed to achieve, but hey, i'm not one to hold it against people...so good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I haven't experienced this problem with Firefox, though it seems to be acting like some other application (perhaps a firefox add-in) is trying to gain control over the pointer. What firefox add-ins do you have installed?
    hehe, sorry but i had to for screenies sake
    Last edited by Zudo; 06-18-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: wont all fit on screen

Hi Rubberman -

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Thanks - this was very helpful - maybe solved it. Firefox addins - only had one - removed it - problem seems to be gone. When one is managing several Linux systems - a couple of doze systems, a network, and a Linux file server - things like Firefox plugins kinda disappear into the noise.

Speaking of noise - sorry about the long chatter just before this ...

Thanks again -

circa 2006

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Just curious, but what was the add-in you installed/removed?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast