Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using LXDE a lot recently because I appreciate the relatively lightweight features but a bit more than just a plain Window Manager (the Openbox WM beneath it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Workspace focus in LXDE

I have been using LXDE a lot recently because I appreciate the relatively lightweight features but a bit more than just a plain Window Manager (the Openbox WM beneath it is pretty plain though).

Problem: When I use Seamonkey for both Web browsing and Email, I like to have the browser window on one workspace and the Email window on the next workspace. Unfortunately, in my current LXDE implementation on sidux using Debian Sid, I have not been able to locate a feature that prevents the browser from shifting from the browser workspace to the Email workspace whenever I click on a URL in an Email message. The desired behavior would either be to shift the focus from the Email workspace to the Browser workspace containing the clicked on link, or simply remain in the Email workspace and let me switch workspaces when I want to do so. But what's the point of having workspaces if you can't keep apps in the places where you put them? There has to be a way - and if there isn't yet, this is a badly needed feature.

In XFCE, you can customize the way this works - you can get workspaces to change, remain the same, and you can get the focus to shift or not when you click on a URL in an Email message. KDE has similar flexibility.

In a light WM such as IceWM, when you click on a link in an Email, the focus remains the same, and apps stay put; you just change to the display containing your app. That is an acceptable alternative.

Anyone know how to configure LXDE either of these acceptable ways, and better yet, point me to some docs that explain it. I did not see anything on this in the LXDE Wiki, so there is a chance that if the feature is available at all, it may be a config file change.

Any experts? If and when I conquer this I will try to report back.
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com

I don't know how to do it exactly, but I believe Openbox is able to do this by editing the rc.xml file. I believe LXDE renames it slightly, to like rc-lxde.xml or similar and may have it in a different location than pure Openbox.

The relevant documentation is here.

Some good tips on Openbox are here.

An example from that page, which seems like it gets at what you're looking for a little:

Code:
    <application name="xfce4-terminal">
    <desktop>3</desktop>
    <layer>below</layer>
    <decor>no</decor>
    <maximized>yes</maximized>
    </application>
    Everytime you now run xfce4-terminal, it will open on workspace 3, maximized, without window decorations, but below all other applications.

Linux Newbie

Thanks!

That is extremely helpful. Thank you very much. Now that I know the resource - <desktop> - to solve my problem, the next challenge will be to find an identifier that uniquely differentiates the Seamonkey Browser component from the Seamonkey Email component. Once I do that, I can pin the browser to desktop 1 and the Email client to desktop two. In the meantime, I can pin lxterminal to desktop 3, so I have something that I can try out right away.

I appreciate the pointer to the documentation - I could not find these earlier because I am not yet very familiar with all of the available on line resources for LXDE, so thank you very much for that as well!
    Brian Masinick

You might want to check out the Crunchbang website and forums as well. They have some good tips there. (Crunchbang is an Ubuntu derivative that uses Openbox.) It's pretty much the best default Openbox configuration I've seen.

Linux Newbie

Thanks again!

That page also looks quite helpful, and it provides additional examples. I think I will probably have to get into the Class names in order to do what I want to separate the browser and Email client onto separate workspaces and keep them there.

Thanks again!
    Brian Masinick