Find the answer to your Linux question:
My current machine has just died on me, so while i wait to by another im having to make use of an old PC i had laying around. 900MHz, 256MB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

For an old PC

My current machine has just died on me, so while i wait to by another im having to make use of an old PC i had laying around. 900MHz, 256MB RAM, 32MB onboard graphics.
    So it's no Crysis rig, that for sure. I have a tweaked and stripped down XP installion on it right now, but want to load on a light weight linux distro to make the most of it.

I was hoping for a few people to recommend a few distro's for me. Is xfce the way to go? or flux/openbox. Puppy or DSL....

I have only played around with the major distributions and window managers so some suggestions would be great.

I just made a 4 gig ext2 partition and slapped Puppy 4.2 on it. Works great with my PCI Wireless card o my IBM M41 Motorcycle Shop Desktop. Easy to enable the Icewm Desktop if you don't want to use the Default JWM. I installed it because I was impressed with how far Puppy has evollved.

Another Distro that will Handle your specs and that I run Is AntiX 8 and Linux Mint Fluxbox. I like AntiX. It is a fast runner also. Mint Fluxbox is pretty speedy also. Have fun with them all by running them in Live mode.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
    I was hoping for a few people to recommend a few distro's for me. Is xfce the way to go? or flux/openbox. Puppy or DSL....
    Welcome to the forums!

Those all sound like good possible options. I've tried them all numerous times and they've always worked great. You can make any of the mainstream distros much lighter by using Fluxbox, Openbox, LXDE, or Xfce4, and should you choose to go with DSL or Puppy, they are already setup with lightweight window managers.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
    My current machine has just died on me, so while i wait to by another im having to make use of an old PC i had laying around. 900MHz, 256MB RAM, 32MB onboard graphics.
    What you fail to mention is how big your HD is, which is what limits you. I ran debian etch with kde 3.x on a dual CPU 350MHz, with 512M or ram.
    You may want to add some memory, which you should be able to get in a couple of days for less then the S&H fees.

Just Joined!
    A simple debian Lenny with XFCE would do. I use it with an old laptop PIII 733 with 256Mo of RAM and a DD of 10Go. Only 65~75 Mo of RAM is used after Xorg is loaded.