Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I'm a new linux user and have recently purchased a machine supported by a pc with linux red hat 7.3 The problem I have is that I have 2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gnome window pager and nautilus not working on 1 user account

Hi,

I'm a new linux user and have recently purchased a machine supported by a pc with linux red hat 7.3

The problem I have is that I have 2 main user accounts, maint and operator, and also root
    root and operation function fully as normal. But maint account, was working normally until I tried to setup network and usb, I changed permission levels for fstab, ra.local and etc files.

The problem I have now is that when I login to maint account, it takes longer than usual to load, then gives me a Gconf error saying that I need to use gnome as my window pager, which should be the case.
    The second problem is that nautilus will not start, even from terminal. But when I try and run from terminal I get a font "" error , saying that en_US.ISO8859-15 is a problem.. I dont understand this.. although believe it to be the operating language for nautilus, And this is available for other programs and users.

I have also created a new user account maint1, to use to same home as maint and be available to the same group (pcb), but after creation and login all I get is a blank blue screen.. I'm obviously missing some basics here, but don't have the linux knowledge.

If anyone has some information to point me in the right direction, or explain what might have happened to this account, all will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello and Welcome.
    You might want to make sure that the "Operator" account has the correct group permissions.

audio be able to access the audio devices
    cdrom be able to directly access optical devices
    floppy be able to directly access floppy devices
    games be able to play games
    usb be able to access USB devices
    plugdev Be able to mount and use pluggable devices such as cameras and USB sticks
    video be able to access video capturing hardware and doing hardware acceleration
    wheel be able to use su
    For the Konqueror problem, you need to post the exact error message please.

You could try creating a new user just to see if this new user has the same problems.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Hi, Thanks for you reply

I will check group permissions for the groups suggested and give you the feedback.

As for the Errors, here is the exact on screen errors:

Firstly, Desk Guide Alert (pager)
    Error, You are not running a gnome compliant Window Manager. Gnome support by the window manager is strongly recommended for pager desk guide operation.

Second Error, run-nautilus from terminal.
    Error, Eel Warning**:Gconf error
    Failed to contact configuration server ( a likely cause of this is that you have an existing configuration server (gconfd) running, but it isn't reachable from here - if youre logged in from two machines at once you may need to enable TCP networking for Orbit.
    The font "zA" does not support all the required character sets for the current locale "en_US.iso8859-15.
    (missing character set "ISO8859-15"
    The font "fixed" does not support all the required character sets for the current locale "en_US.iso8859-15.
    (missing character set "ISO8859-15"
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Also I had created a new user, but once created and logged in, just have a blank blue screen !!

Hope this helps, thanks

Just Joined!
    Also here is my findings for permission levels.
    dev/audio = 600
    dev/cdrom = 660
    mnt/floppy = 755
    usr/games = 755
    dev/usb = 755, but all files inside this folder are 600 to 660
    dev/video = 775 but 4 files inside theis folder are 600

Could not locate plugdev or wheel

I just noticed you are using redhat 7.3?? This is very old and unsupported, is there anyway you can get a newer version of Linux? Redhat is now Fedora and the current release is Fedora 11. This would make things a lot more easy for you if you are able.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Hi, yes I realise that this version is longer supported, but do not want to upgrade just now as I do not have the other software running available to me.

But on a good point, I did create a new user account with a default user id. This works fine aswell, although couldn't get some favourvites to work... anyway out of curiosity, logged back in to the problem account and hey presto.. all works as normal now !!! bizarre!!

The only issue I have now is that the kernel dosent support udf format for the cd, and the floppy is giving me a read only error, I can copy from the floppy to a dir, but not visa versa.

If i can just resolve the floppy read only error, I will be happy

Thanks

Awesome, glad you got it resolved.
    As for the Floppy, make sure you are using good discs, use some compressed air to blow out the dust. Is it only one floppy that you have problems with or multiple floppies? What is the exact command you used and what is the error you have?
    For UDF support, you'll need to recompile your kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by rac7799 View Post
    Hi, yes I realise that this version is longer supported, but do not want to upgrade just now as I do not have the other software running available to me.

But on a good point, I did create a new user account with a default user id. This works fine aswell, although couldn't get some favourvites to work... anyway out of curiosity, logged back in to the problem account and hey presto.. all works as normal now !!! bizarre!!

The only issue I have now is that the kernel dosent support udf format for the cd, and the floppy is giving me a read only error, I can copy from the floppy to a dir, but not visa versa.

If i can just resolve the floppy read only error, I will be happy

Thanks

Just Joined!
    For the floppy, I just mount on the desktop, and then open it and explore with nautilus.
    The error says: cannot write to floppy as it is read only.

I've removed ro from the fstab and tried a few different settings from other web sources, but no luck. I know the floppy is good, its new and have been using it last week and can read and copy from it.

How do I go about re compiling the kernel, I havent done this before but if a step by step guide is out there i could follow it, if it dosen't demand expert knowledge.

Try to copy the file(s) as root, if this works then it is just a permission problem and can be sorted out.

How To Compile A Kernel - The Fedora Way | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
    It's actually harder to recompile a Fedora kernel rather than just a plain vanilla kernel. Go figure!?

Just Joined!
    Tried as root and have the same error, will do some more checks to try and figure where the read only problem is coming from !!

thanks for the link, I will have a look and decide whether to proceed.

thanks for all your help, and hopefully I can get this thing back on track.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast