Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! It's been suggested in the Newbie subforum that I get some assistance here. This morning my Acer Aspire One (Linpux Lite) shut itself down. When I restarted it everything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE configuration files damaged! Help!

Hello!

It's been suggested in the Newbie subforum that I get some assistance here.

This morning my Acer Aspire One (Linpux Lite) shut itself down. When I restarted it everything seemed fine but I was unable to open and of my personal files on the desktop or use Firefox etc. Using Open Office I was able to see that the files are in fact still there and can be opened using Open Office. The suggestion made in that thread was that my KDE files got corrupted during the sudden shut down. Is there a simple way to remove the KDE files in terminal? I know how to do it using the desktop and finding hidden files, but I can't open that.

I'd post the other thread, but I don't have enough posts here to include it

I'm fairly new to linux so my apologies in advance for making people use simple terms. Any help is much appreciated.

oz
    forum.guy
    From the terminal, navigate (cd) to your /home/your_username folder then run:

Code:
    ls -a
    That should list all the folders and files in that folder, including the hidden kde config files and folders.

You can remove files and folders with the rm and rmdir commands:

Code:
    rmdir folder_name

rm file_name
    Then when you go to log back into kde, the config files should rebuild themselves.

You might want to simply rename the old config files rather than delete them using the mv (move) command. Then, if KDE works properly on logging in, you can then delete the old config files from the GUI.

Code:
    mv old_file_name new_file_name
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi, I followed your directions but when I got to removing the kde directory all it did was say

Code:
     rmdir:  .kde: Directory not empty
    It would let me remove it as a file either and simply says that it's a directory.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    You can get more details for options on using the rm, rmdir, and mv commands by checking the manual pages:

Code:
    man rm

man rmdir

man mv
    You are probably better off to rename the current folders with the mv command:

Code:
    mv .kde_some_folder .kde_some_folder_OLD
    Then log back into KDE, and if all works properly, use your GUI mode file manager to remove all the _OLD files/folders.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Renaming had no effect. I tried using the manual commands but it wouldn't recognize them.

oz
    forum.guy
    If letting the KDE config files rebuild themselves from scratch doesn't help, then it sounds like the problem might be something other than damaged KDE configuration files. In that case, try to post any error messages that you are receiving here so that someone can help you determine what the real issue might be.
    oz

Just Joined!
    That's a problem since it's not shown a single error message since this started.

To determine if the problem is with user settings/files or system I'd create a new user and see if problem remains.