Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I was mistaken. Apparently we changed from Fedora to OpenSUSE 11. The OpenVPN is 2.0.9...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I was mistaken. Apparently we changed from Fedora to OpenSUSE 11. The OpenVPN is 2.0.9

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need 2.1 for Vista support. Get it here: Downloads
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks so much. I appreciate all your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by athos View Post
    Forgive me if this has been answered before. I'm a noob and may misunderstand some of what I've been reading.

I understand that there are clients that do the remote desktop thing between Linux servers and Windows clients and vice versa. My question is whether there is anything that will make both the Windows to Linux connection and a Windows/Windows RDC?
    The X Windowing System ("X") was designed to do exactly what you want. The ability to run "Remote Desktop Connections" is an inherent feature of X. I admit to being a little irked when people automatically recommend VNC to do something that is not only already a principle part of X, but was one of the major core objectives and philosophies behind X!

First, a little simplified terminology. You would be using an X Server on your Microsoft Windows computers to connect to your X Clients (applications, display manager, window manager) on the Linux server. Yes, this may seem backwards at first, but after looking at the structure it will make sense. Google X Window System.

There are plenty of both commercial and free X Servers for Microsoft Windows to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by athos View Post
    We have a network server which is RedHat Linux with Samba, however our desktops are all PCs with OS ranging from Win2000 to Vista. We would like to have client remote desktop access that would allow for our workers to access both the network drives (where most of our docs are stored) AND operate applications on their own desktops from their home PCs and laptops (OS also ranging the same as above). Is there any software that can do all of this? If we can get email access and collaborative calendaring out of all this, so much the better.
    Now we are getting into the good stuff. Seeing that pretty GUI KDM login screen and KDE desktop over a public network? How about even being able to to just click "Network" on a Microsoft Windows desktop at home and seeing all those network drives lined up all pretty as if if they were local, but are really across a public network? Doing both securely? You bet. X and Samba can be tunneled over SSH.

Disregard. I apologize. Somewhere between my eyes and small brain, I was translating VPN for VNC. I need to pay better attention.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2