Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I have installed debian on my system as only a base system and want to install fluxbox. I believe i first need to install a version of X ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

substitute for X11

Hey all,

I have installed debian on my system as only a base system and want to install fluxbox. I believe i first need to install a version of X to make this work. I was wondering if there were a minimalist version of X? I looked into Tiny X/Small X/Kdrive but there doesn't seem to be very much documentation on how to install/configure it. Are there any suggestions?

Linux Guru
    Have you checked to see if they are available in the repositories? If Tiny X/Kdrive are available you should be able to install them using something like
    Code:
    apt-get install kdrive
    I would suspect however that Fluxbox will have it's own dependencies and they'll probably be on Xorg as the X server.

Try just installing fluxbox from the repositories and starting out from there. Once you have it in you can always follow it up by installing kdrive etc. and disabling Xorg.
    Code:
    apt-get install fluxbox

This guide from 2007 is the most recent thing I could find on compiling kdrive. It doesn't appear to be in the Debian repos.

KDrive - Making Embedded Debian