Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can you have a virtual machine running windows vista/7 and be able to acess and change files (I am going to use my notebook instead of the schools netbooks and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Ubuntu virtual machine

Can you have a virtual machine running windows vista/7 and be able to acess and change files (I am going to use my notebook instead of the schools netbooks and I want to be able to dual boot AND have a windows vista/7 virtual machine), but I still need to access and change files (a ubuntu partition, a windows partition, a data partition, and a backup partition).
    Would it be possible (for free), and if so how?

Virtualization software isn't really meant to run on laptops, you need a lot of memory and CPU power or else they will just crawl.

Just Joined!

Red face It's fast, though

Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    you need a lot of memory and CPU power or else they will just crawl.
    The laptop is fast. 2.56 Ghz dual core centrino, 4 GB ram, 400 GB S-ATA drive. Should I run one?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I ran a VM on an old Inspiron. It's possible.

Your Ubunru partition can access the Windows partition fine. If you store the data you want on the Win partition, you don't need a VM. The VM will just be a seperate OS to the already-there Windows OS. And accessing data inside a virtual machine is only possible when the VM is running.

Just Joined!
    does that mean I can run windows/linux VM on the same settings with the same file as the actual OS

Quote Originally Posted by MattS View Post
    does that mean I can run windows/linux VM on the same settings with the same file as the actual OS
    No, you can't.