Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys. I bought a HP Netbook today that has Mi installed on it. Im lead to believe this is a derivative of Gnome in my searching. What i would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uninstalling gnome

Hi guys. I bought a HP Netbook today that has Mi installed on it. Im lead to believe this is a derivative of Gnome in my searching. What i would like to know is how to uninstall it so that i can install XP and then 7. Yes i know you guys love Linux but i need a windows program to run MYOB/Outlook and Google stuff that my business runs on.

Id like to have a step by step tutorial as i have no idea what im doing in Linux so an easy guide to uninstalling/installing would be much appreciated.

This is how I do it. There are other ways to do it. But this way is my way.

First I download and burn a bootable ISO CD of

Active@ Kill Disk Hard Drive Eraser. Low Level Format.

I boot it up and wipe the hardrive completely.

Then you would insert your Windows CD and Install it and tell it to format the whole drive as NTFS during install process and install Windows onto the whole Hardrive.

Then to do a Dual boot I would follow the instructions below

How to dual boot Windows XP and Linux (XP installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

Then I would use the below tutorial for setting up Mint 7

The Perfect Desktop - Linux Mint 7 (Gloria) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

You do know that you will need to install Sata drivers during Windows XP install as Windows XP has little to no Sata support.

You will have to google Windows XP won't boot on Sata as I don't run Windows so I have no experience with this. Do some research first before wiping drive and be fully prepared before you start your steps for installing XP.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Its the 16 gig SSD version so there's no hope of dual booting... Lol. Also, it doesn't have a CD drive but I would imagine I could either get a drive from somehwere and hook it up via USB or create a bootable USB stick. I guess the main thing is I need to get rid of the install of Gnome to start with which by your post doesn't "seem" so difficult.

Looks like I have some work ahead of me!

I have a Asus EEEPC 900 Netbook with 4 gig and 16 gig Solid State Drive. I triple boot via The SD Card slot on the side. I run the stock Xandros Linux on Internal 4 gig drive with the 16 gig for /home storage.

I run Antix 8.2 off of external SDHC 8 Gig Dana Electric SD Flash Drive. I also Have Browser Pup Linux installed on 2 gig Pendrive . I use my bios to change boot order when I wish to go from internal drive to external sd or USB flash drive inserted in Laptop.
    If it was me.
    I think the easy way for you to go is to leave Your internal Linux installed drive alone. Buy yourself a 8 or 16 gig Camera SDHC Flash Card and Install XP to it. You will have to make a bootable pen drive of Windows XP. Google it on the net.

Illustrated walk-through: Creating a bootable USB flash drive for Windows XP
    or
    EEEguides.com: Install Windows XP to SD or SDHC card Asus EEE pc

Then when you boot up Windows Installer, You can point it to the External 8 or 16 gig flash drive of your choice and install it there. Then use your boot order in bios to either boot up Windows or Linux.It is Just a option I am suggesting.
    If you don't care to run Linux and Just run Windows
    You can also just make a bootable pendrive of XP and use it also to wipe out your linux install and just install Windows into your internal drive also.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 09-27-2009 at 02:31 PM.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

To clear the partition table and MBR on a drive, go to a terminal and issue the following command:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    If this doesn't work, run the same command but leave out the sudo part of the command.

After running the command, you should be able to reinstall Windows.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

To clear the partition table and MBR on a drive, go to a terminal and issue the following command:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    If this doesn't work, run the same command but leave out the sudo part of the command.

After running the command, you should be able to reinstall Windows.
    If i do this am i able to boot from the SD? I bought one yesterday with the hope of doing this. Also, will it jsut search for any sort of installation i.e. go through the network/sd/ssd?

If i do this am i able to boot from the SD?
    As my dog would say. "You better have snauseges"

In other words. You better have installed some kind of bootable medium on that SD card, whether it be Windows, Linux, Solaris, Bsd, or Mac.
    On my Asus. The Esc button is what I use to change boot order. I don't know which key HP uses.

Realize that when you run Ozars script it will be like you ran kill disk on internal drive. You better have snauseges.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Good news is i have found a way to get it to boot from the ssd... Ill post the link later - if i forget just remind me.

It works perfectly, with an exception of bt so far as i cant find the drivers but ill keep looking...

Just Joined!
    Kaser Flash DVD USB Drive ..Just Google it