Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just finished migrating from a Windows 98 OS to a Redhat Linux 8.0, and i wanted to know whether or not window's ttf will work in linux. If not, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fonts....

I just finished migrating from a Windows 98 OS to a Redhat Linux 8.0, and i wanted to know whether or not window's ttf will work in linux. If not, where i can download a linux font pack?

Linux Guru
    It seems they would. Follow this link and read the HOWTO it refers to. Keep in mind that it is ages old, so you might need to adapt some things to the new version of XFree86, but I guess it should describe the general guideline pretty well.

Linux Enthusiast
    look for a redhat rpm of bitstream-vera fonts. They are very excellent fonts, fully supported, and just as good if not better than Windows default fonts.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!

fonts

Can I assume that these bitstream-vera fonts will work under KDE even though there creation has some affiliation with gnome?

Linux Guru
    The fonts are only drawn by the X server, and in that way have no relation to GNOME or KDE. So, yes, they'll be usable by KDE as well.

Linux Engineer
    Where can I get bitstream-vera fonts? Dolda, is that what you are using? I remember you once posted a screen shot of your machine when I complained about linux and it's sucky fonts. Regardless, I'll need to find the actual fonts. I guess I can use rpm and convert to deb using alien but if possible, please direct me to where I can find the fonts that aren't packaged as rpms.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    No, that's not it. I just recompiled mozilla with Xft support, so that it antialiases (how in Linus' name do you pronounce that) the fonts. I don't have bitstream-vera at all (I think; I don't really care about fonts that much anyway).

Linux Guru