Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I am new to the Linux GUI stuff and I have a question about it. I would like to change/modify the Interface of e.g. Ubuntu. Right after starting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Kiosk Terminal with Linux

Hey all,

I am new to the Linux GUI stuff and I have a question about it.

I would like to change/modify the Interface of e.g. Ubuntu.
    Right after starting up, I would like to have my own application showing up,
    instead of the normal GNOME UI.
    This should be something like a kiosk Terminal, where the (auto-login) User does not have any rights to modify anything, he can only use my application.
    I have to say that this Terminal will be accessed through a Touchscreen, so the User does not have the option to use a keyboard.
    Furthermore, I want to use my own bootscreen, so the user can't see the linux boot progress. Is that possible?

Does anybody have an idea how I could implement that?

I would welcome all solutions for this issue!

Thanks in advance,
    razor4

If it is only about one application, then you should not need any window manager at all. Just start the X-Server and your application fullscreen.
    What is more, there are a number of kiosk window managers made for that purpose.

If you want the machine to boot with a bootscreen, you need it to use the Linux framebuffer device during start. Otherwise you get text-only. The xserver xfbdev can be run to use the Linux framebuffer device directly, so the system doesn't flicker when changing from bootscreen to X11.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.