Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently switched to the KDE desktop environment, but after doing so, I noticed that my login manager was still GDM. Is this abnormal? I was wondering if there are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Login Manager problem(?)

I recently switched to the KDE desktop environment, but after doing so, I noticed that my login manager was still GDM. Is this abnormal? I was wondering if there are any files I should tamper with in order to change the login manager to KDM. Presently, any changes I make to KDE Control Center's login manager don't seem to have any bearing on my system.

Just Joined!

solved

Sorry, forgot to mention I was using Red Hat 9.

In any case, I figured it out already. After going through so many documents and consuming so much time modifying initialization files, rebooting, and the like, I guess it would be best to write down the solution to spare people who'll run into this issue the agony.

Simply open DESKTOP in /etc/sysconfig/
    Change the line DESKTOP="GNOME" to
    DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

(Why I found five different, albeit ineffective solutions of varying complexity in some of the most popular sites, truly baffles me.)

Don't forget to reboot.

Linux Enthusiast
    Don't forget to reboot.
    AHHHH!!! You don't need to reboot your system after that. The only time my system goes down for reboot is hardware changes, kernel recompile, or power outage. You are too used to the windows philosophy of "made changes, lets reboot". In linux, all you would have to do is a `telinit 3; telinit 5` and the changes would be applied correctly all around.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    In fact, you don't even have to do that. Just kill gdm and init will restart it.