Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 with a French keyboard, and Xvfb 7.3 for a special "detached" application running gnome-terminal with whom I communicate using my French keyboard. From what we ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xvfb support of XKB extension ?

Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 with a French keyboard, and Xvfb 7.3 for a special "detached" application running gnome-terminal with whom I communicate using my French keyboard.

From what we see, Xvfb is using a keyboard mapping which is fixed at server startup time (a specific english keyboard called the LK201), and I need to change this to get my French keycodes in.
    But it looks like Xvfb 7.3 does NOT support the XKB extension because a setxkbmap command typed onto that virtual gnome-terminal always produces the error: "XKB extension not present on (e.g.) :2"

Suggestions ?

Thanks,
    -michel

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You probably need to install the package xorg-x11-xkb-utils for your system. Look in the package manager for something like that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    This is already installed and works well for interactive use (user's console) but not for Xvfb-level "virtual" system

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, I'm out of suggestions... Sorry.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!