Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
whats the big differences between xfree and xorg? also whu=ich one is better? i am using xorg since its what comes with fc2...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

xfree and xorg?

whats the big differences between xfree and xorg? also whu=ich one is better? i am using xorg since its what comes with fc2
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

There are some very lenghty discussions on this elsewere, but the short of it is a chunk of teh xfree team left to join xorg whitch was originaly not popular b/c of some liscesning problems. Right now xorg is basicaly just cleaning up and streamlineing the bloated and slow xfree code (xserver is the slowest part of any linux box under most circumstances) the saying goes that over the past 3 months, xorg has made more progress then xfree has in the past 3 years. basicaly the move is to xorg, while whos better as of this moment is up for debate, in 6 months to a year it won't even be a contest should things continue as is.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux User
    It's easy, the one that you have installed and running. And don't let anybody tell you different.

But really, there does seem to be some what of a move away from xfree86 becasue of the liscesning issue.

i take it you guys are getting the picture of some noob going "i want the most totally pimped ot system so tell me the best of everything now!" well no, im not doing that. im some noob going "why is there two, are they any diferent or is like how theres many different distos of linux. all are about the same exept a little progrming and arangement to make things a little more comfortable to the user".
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Perhaps this thread will shed some light on the issue.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-25071.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

One thing Xorg is doing is moving away from the monolithic tree and to a modular X11 system.
    -soap

??? what is the monolithic tree and what is a modular X11 system.
    what is an X11 system?

also what other X's are there other than those two.
    why is it so slow? is it just because it has to be or is it a matter of bad and lazy programing.

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    One thing Xorg is doing is moving away from the monolithic tree and to a modular X11 system.
    -soap

??? what is the monolithic tree and what is a modular X11 system.
    what is an X11 system?
    X11 is version 11 of the X Windows system. X Windows is what anyone using Linux with a GUI uses AFAIK

also what other X's are there other than those two.
    why is it so slow? is it just because it has to be or is it a matter of bad and lazy programing.
    Define slow. The X Windows system itself is quite snappy IMHO. Perhaps what you mean is that the desktop environment you're running (KDE or GNOME, etc) is slow. That may or may not have anything to do with the underlying system. I run Blackbox on top of X11 and it's blazing fast.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

a lot of people say that X is the slowest part of linux. i understand that any gui is going to be a little slower than the rest of the OS but is there something about X that makes it slow that could be fixed?

also if X11 is the current version then what is R6 and R7

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    a lot of people say that X is the slowest part of linux. i understand that any gui is going to be a little slower than the rest of the OS but is there something about X that makes it slow that could be fixed?
    Sure, no software is perfect. If you want to fix problems with X, join the Xorg or XFree86 projects and become a contributor.

also if X11 is the current version then what is R6 and R7
    X11 is the last major version (there is no X12) the endings "R6" and "R7" are revision numbers (read: bugfixes). The Debian project uses similar naming schemes. Recently they released "3.0r3" I believe, which is just bug fix relase number 3 of the version 3.0.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

you know i would love to help them out and all, but... see... i dont realy know how to program. i did buy sams c++ in 24 hours. but i never realy finnished it. i did learn how to do the hello world program. and i made a program that converted radii into circumfrances by myself but i never learned much more then that. i will however try and lern C so i can give back to the linux communuty. I just believe that the people who would need my help the most are the wine programmers.

i feel that in order for linux to overpower windows it has to be able to do everything that windows can and more. in the buissness section it seems that the only thing linux needs to finish is support for writing to ntfs partitions. at home all it needs is to be able to play windows games and better gui configuration.

wine seems to me like it is behind the most out of everything since it doesnt play lile any of my games.starcraft works but cant uptdate off of battlenet and MOHAA wont even install

what wil i need to learn to help wine out and where can i easily find out how?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast