Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I was hoping someone could help me getting kmid to work. I run a standard installation of Red Hat 9.0 with most options installed. Whenver I run Kmidi, nothing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting Kmid to work

Hi. I was hoping someone could help me getting kmid to work. I run a standard installation of Red Hat 9.0 with most options installed. Whenver I run Kmidi, nothing seems to happen, my HD just lights up a few times, and there's no action afterwards. Whenver I run Kmid though, the console comes up ok (I have no idea if those two programs are connected in any way).

The problem I have with Kmid is that after opening a midi file (I choose the smallest midi files with the least number of tracks), Kmid reads the file alright. The progress bar, however, is still fixed and dull (Kmid still doesn't know midi length?). Moreover, when actually pressing "play", there's no sound whatsover, and the program enters into some sort of halt mode. I can minimize the window and click on the close button all I want, but the program is effectively stuck on the desktop or the taskbar, wherever I left it. To correct this, I log out and log in, then close the Kmid window.

I currently have an SB Live! Value card using Emu10k1. When configuring MIDI in Kmid(Settings - MIDI Setup), I have two options for MIDI device. The first is a garbled string of characters followed by a dash, then "External Midi Port". The second is EMU10K1 MIDI - External Midi Port. I set this to the second one, EMU10K1. As for "use midi map", I chose gm.map in usr/share/apps/kmid/maps

Other miscellaneous info that may or may not be of any use: my Mplayer and XMMS work perfectly fine.

Is Kmid workable with my setup, or am I missing any files?

Linux Guru
    I thought you said that you couldn't start kmid at all? But then you say that you can't load MIDI files with it? Which one is it?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    I thought you said that you couldn't start kmid at all? But then you say that you can't load MIDI files with it? Which one is it?
    There are two particular shortcuts in my "Sound & Video --> More Sound & Video Applications". One is "Kmid", which opens ok, but utterly stops after opening a midi file and pressing play. The other shortcut is "Kmidi", which when run, seems to make my HD LED run for a few seconds, after which there is nothing that happens. I was wondering if the two have any connection whatsoever, and was thinking that perhaps my problems in Kmid may have something to do with Kmidi not running (?). Any advise is really appreciated.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Ah, then I get it. I thought those were one and the same. Well, I haven't tried the programs in question, but try running Kmidi from a terminal and see if it gives you any errors.

Just Joined!
    Well, I figured out what was wrong. I went to the alsa sound card compatibility website.

Under "Details", it says:
    "Known bugs: MIDI on SB live drive not working properly."

*sigh*

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

Linux Guru
    Oh, did you use a SB Live? Sorry I missed that, but that's very correct. I don't know why, but somehow, SB Live MIDI seems very hard to implement. I had the impression that it would work with ALSA, though. Maybe I was just wrong.