Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can someone please explain the basics of the X window system? I'd also really appreciate a link to a good tutorial. I've tried reading wikipedia on this subject but the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Newbie trying to understand X - Window system..

Can someone please explain the basics of the X window system? I'd also really appreciate a link to a good tutorial. I've tried reading wikipedia on this subject but the articles seems to be a little bit complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by mahela007 View Post
    I've tried reading wikipedia on this subject but the articles seems to be a little bit complicated.
    The trouble is, XWindow is complicated. To be honest, I don't know how to explain it much simpler than the Wikipedia article does. It consists of a client/server architecture. The server is the receiver. It receives commands from the clients like "draw a blue rectangle" and then orders the graphics adapter to do just that.

The clients are basically the user programs which wish to display things and ask the server to do this.

If you thrive for a deeper understanding of this, you will most likely find that there are only two decent books available.
    XLib Programming Manual and XLib Reference Manual, both from Adrian Nye.
    They are available for free online as well as the printed version to buy.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help and the links.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close