Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I wasn't necessarily recommending that you try and compile the newer software for Debian. (Which, by its nature, uses very old packages.) Depending on your reasons for using Debian, mixing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I wasn't necessarily recommending that you try and compile the newer software for Debian. (Which, by its nature, uses very old packages.) Depending on your reasons for using Debian, mixing in newer software sort of defeats the purpose of using Debian "Stable".

I don't know your circumstances, but if you're able, I would try a different distro that uses a newer kernel and xserver. (But avoid Ubuntu 9.04 and other distros released around that time - that was the height of the Intel problems.)

Or you can use the smxi scripts to turn your Debian install into Sidux, a rolling release "stabilized" version of Debian Unstable. Actually, you might be able to use smxi to just upgrade the kernel and such. Not sure.

Just Joined!
    I'm using Debian "testing" packages, not "stable", but testing only has binaries for kernel 2.6.30 and xserver 1.6.5. "unstable", repository of newest packages has latest stable kernel, but not latest xserver (has same version as testing).

As for the distro-change, I'm pretty new to linux, I was just getting comfortable with Debian, so not yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2