Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have posted this on the Ubuntu forum with no help so far, so I am trying to find any help I can. I have been searching Google and forums ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot connect to remote desktop

I have posted this on the Ubuntu forum with no help so far, so I am trying to find any help I can. I have been searching Google and forums for a long time with no luck.

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a friends computer when Windows died on it, and though she has had relatively few problems with it, she still occasionally has problems that are really hard to impossible to fix over the phone. She is also not very knowledgeable with computers, so I was trying to guide her through setting up so I could connect to her remotely and try to figure things out, but I cannot get it to work.

I personally don't use Ubuntu on my computer, I use openSUSE and KDE so that does add to the problem, though I have used Ubuntu and Gnome a lot in the past.

I had her go to remote desktop settings and allow connections from other computers and allow other users to control the desktop, and at first I had her require confirmation and a password but it didn't work without it either. When I try to connect, it just hangs for a while then times out. I tried using KRDC and just VNC in the terminal with the same result.

There should be nothing on my side preventing a connection, but I am not positive. I am not very familiar with remote desktop outside of a LAN either. I am just trying to connect using her IP address, I don't know if there is anything else I need to include. Is there maybe some other setting that needs to be changed or maybe her DSL modem/router is blocking me though I don't know why it would, especially since P2P programs work fine.

Any help would be great!

Cue
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hito_kiri View Post
    I have posted this on the Ubuntu forum with no help so far, so I am trying to find any help I can. I have been searching Google and forums for a long time with no luck.

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a friends computer when Windows died on it, and though she has had relatively few problems with it, she still occasionally has problems that are really hard to impossible to fix over the phone. She is also not very knowledgeable with computers, so I was trying to guide her through setting up so I could connect to her remotely and try to figure things out, but I cannot get it to work.

I personally don't use Ubuntu on my computer, I use openSUSE and KDE so that does add to the problem, though I have used Ubuntu and Gnome a lot in the past.

I had her go to remote desktop settings and allow connections from other computers and allow other users to control the desktop, and at first I had her require confirmation and a password but it didn't work without it either. When I try to connect, it just hangs for a while then times out. I tried using KRDC and just VNC in the terminal with the same result.

There should be nothing on my side preventing a connection, but I am not positive. I am not very familiar with remote desktop outside of a LAN either. I am just trying to connect using her IP address, I don't know if there is anything else I need to include. Is there maybe some other setting that needs to be changed or maybe her DSL modem/router is blocking me though I don't know why it would, especially since P2P programs work fine.

Any help would be great!
    It most likely is the router. You need to set up port forwarding on the router, probably for port 5900 or 5901.