Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Quick and simple . I have a Linux machine on a remote server with the address 10.1.1.1 and a windows machine running Exceed with the address 10.2.2.2. After SSH ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Remote graphical desktop with exceed

Hi,

Quick and simple . I have a Linux machine on a remote server with the address 10.1.1.1 and a windows machine running Exceed with the address 10.2.2.2.

After SSH to the Linux machine and exporting the display
    Code:
    #export DISPAY=10.2.2.2:0.0
    , then launching the
    Code:
    startx
    command I have the following error.
    Code:
    xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.21144
    _XSERVTrans
    SocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
    _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
    Fatal server error:
    Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running
    Any ideas ?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    eXceed IS an x server. You DO NOT want to run startx on the remote host. Just run the applications you want and you can manage them in the normal Windows manner. eXceed allows you to either run your X session in one window, or each X application can have its own window. If you want to run an X desktop such as KDE or Gnome, then you can configure eXceed to use one window for the X session and start the desktop on the server and eXceed will display that desktop in you local window.

So, eXceed has two operational modes. 1 - run all X applications in 1 window. 2 - run each X application in its own window. Use option 1 if you are going to use an X-windows desktop environment such as KDE or Gnome.

If you want to run kde for example, then once you have logged into the remote system and set your DISPLAY environment (as you showed), then you can run kde directly with the kdesktop command. For Gnome, use the gnome-session command.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    By the way, make sure you have eXceed running before you try to start your remote desktop.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much, works like a charm !