Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am newbie and i want to make firefox browser should come before x windows starts in linux system. so can anyone help me how to do that?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

browser after x window

Hello,
    I am newbie and i want to make firefox browser should come before x windows starts in linux system. so can anyone help me how to do that?
    Last edited by shariefbe; 01-23-2010 at 09:48 AM.
    Thanks in advance...

Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Linux User
    sorry guys. i asked wrong question. Now only i came to know that withour x windows firefox will not come. So, firefox should come after loading x window. after loading basic things of x window the firefox browser should start. How to do that? please help me
    Last edited by shariefbe; 01-23-2010 at 09:51 AM.
    Thanks in advance...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Depending in how X is started on your system, there are a couple of startup scripts which say what programs are started in what order.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Linux User
    Actually my frefox should start automatically when system starts. I dont know where is this startup scripts are...
    Thanks in advance...

You're trying to run X without a window manager, is that correct? How are you starting the X environment? Which distribution are you running?

In general, if you are not using a login manager like GDM or KDM, then ~/.xinitrc is the place to put programs/scripts you want to run when X starts.

Linux User
    No. Just i want to start my firefox browser automatically when system reboots. i should go and click firefox button manually to work in browser. It should come automatically when system starts. I am using "ubuntu 9.10".
    Thanks in advance...

If you're using Ubuntu, presumably you are also using GNOME. Somewhere in the System menu is a place to add/remove startup applications. System->Sessions or something like that.

Startup Programs Tab

Linux User
    Ok. I am having this startup applications menu. But i want to add this firefox technically, i mean in /etc folder. If i add my browser in this startup applications it will also run when i reboot my system. But i want to know in which folder it is getting alter when i add in this "startup applications".

I don't use GNOME, but I believe they are desktop entry files located in ~/.config/autostart.