Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, so I am pretty new to Linux. I just started using it about 2-3 months ago, and I am thoroughly hooked. I appreciate the open source concept as well ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Touchscreen Linux

Okay, so I am pretty new to Linux. I just started using it about 2-3 months ago, and I am thoroughly hooked.

I appreciate the open source concept as well as the customization capabilities of the platform. However, I have a few questions regarding the future development of the Linux system.

I have lots of questions about Linux and it's future, but I will limit this thread to using Linux on a touch screen device. Dell, Apple, HP, and others have started rolling out tablet computers and desktop computers that enable a users to interact with their system via touch.

I am wondering how well these new technologies interact with Linux. After reading up on Linux and numerous comparison to other operating systems, I have no doubt that Linux is by far the most capable OS for almost any task. I feel that a Linux based program can out perform a Windows or an OSX counterpart. However, it takes someone to create the program and due to the nature of open source there isn't always an alternative. Lack of a Linux option seems increasingly rare, but it is still inhibiting at times.

Since the touch screen popularity is relatively new, and Linux programmers may not have been interested in or aware of touch screen systems, it may be a while since Linux has a touch screen oriented OS.

How long can we expect to wait for a touch based OS to be developed? Also, what is the current functionality of touch as it concerns Linux? I am sure there are some touch based programs for Linux and I am sure touch capability is supported by most all distos and desktop enviroments, with similar functions as a laptop touchpad, but how long and how hard is it to develop a disto that was created with touch in mind?

Since Linux is used on so many devices other than traditional PCs, it shouldn't be that difficult to create an OS designed around touch. I am new to Linux though, and I don't know how the development process starts, or how long it takes. I am not a programmer, and while I have become rather capable of tweaking Linux and understanding how an operating system works I have no idea how to implement touch into any programs.

So what's the word on touch in the Linux communities?

Any touch based programs in the works?

What would you like a touch based OS to do?

Just Joined!
    You must see the shuttle x500v.

Touchscreen with linux preloaded.

Just Joined!

touchscreen in Linux

Anyway there should be much more if you just google.

enjoy!

Smartdevices has a touchscreen device called the Q7 that comes with an Ubuntu build as the default OS (I think you can also choose Android or WinCE) and it works fine.
    Also the Nokia N800, N900 devices use a Debian build.
    Linux for touchscreen exists, it's out there. You just need to look for it.
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies, but I was aware of all of these already, except for the Q7. What I was asking about is a distro that is built around touch from the ground up, including programs that are designed to work with touch. All I've seen so far is people using touch screen where your finger acts as the mouse, but nothing more than that. The nokia phone devices are based on touch, but they don't really function as desktops. The Q7 site just says it uses Ubuntu, but is this a custom Ubuntu set-up or just vanilla Ubuntu? I want to see media players, photo viewers, browsers, ebook managers, and other programs that are built or tweaked to work on the Linux platform for touch based desktops. I think it's essential for Linux to have a competitive touch based OS that exceeds Apple or Microsoft. Touch hasn't really caught on yet, but I have used windows systems that use touch and I believe it will be an integral part of the home desktop. I am just curious if this will happen any time soon. What will it take to create a touch oriented OS for Linux desktops? Any projects in the works?

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelDRennie View Post
    Okay, so I am pretty new to Linux. I just started using it about 2-3 months ago, and I am thoroughly hooked.

I appreciate the open source concept as well as the customization capabilities of the platform. However, I have a few questions regarding the future development of the Linux system.

I have lots of questions about Linux and it's future, but I will limit this thread to using Linux on a touch screen device. Dell, Apple, HP, and others have started rolling out tablet computers and desktop computers that enable a users to interact with their system via touch.

I am wondering how well these new technologies interact with Linux. After reading up on Linux and numerous comparison to other operating systems, I have no doubt that Linux is by far the most capable OS for almost any task. I feel that a Linux based program can out perform a Windows or an OSX counterpart. However, it takes someone to create the program and due to the nature of open source there isn't always an alternative. Lack of a Linux option seems increasingly rare, but it is still inhibiting at times.

Since the touch screen popularity is relatively new, and Linux programmers may not have been interested in or aware of touch screen systems, it may be a while since Linux has a touch screen oriented OS.

How long can we expect to wait for a touch based OS to be developed? Also, what is the current functionality of touch as it concerns Linux? I am sure there are some touch based programs for Linux and I am sure touch capability is supported by most all distos and desktop enviroments, with similar functions as a laptop touchpad, but how long and how hard is it to develop a disto that was created with touch in mind?

Since Linux is used on so many devices other than traditional PCs, it shouldn't be that difficult to create an OS designed around touch. I am new to Linux though, and I don't know how the development process starts, or how long it takes. I am not a programmer, and while I have become rather capable of tweaking Linux and understanding how an operating system works I have no idea how to implement touch into any programs.

So what's the word on touch in the Linux communities?

Any touch based programs in the works?

What would you like a touch based OS to do?

Have you used an Android Phone, several Palm Pilot phones, etc they all use Linux. Linux is in lots of the embedded devices. By the way, X Window has been around since 1984 (it was a rewrite of a windowing environment called W which ran on an OS called V).