Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Very recently I've done a blind System upgrade since I noticed some things where failing. Eg Skype closed every x minutes, GDB crashed and planes where falling from the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GDM is messing with me

Hello,

Very recently I've done a blind System upgrade since I noticed some things where failing.

Eg Skype closed every x minutes, GDB crashed and planes where falling from the skies.

Anywho, I upgraded and I rebooted to load the new Kernel.
    When I rebooted I noticed a few things.
    First, X was started. I saw the background of GDM although no Login screen.
    Second, I did some playing about and I managed to skip GDM and load twm but a lot of programs just crashed. eg eog (Eye of Gnome) SegFaulted on start and almost all programs had DBus Errors.
    And besides that all, I checked my logs. And none said anything about failing systems or warnings.

So, what should I check and where should I look? Is this a known flaw or what? I tried to Google it but I only found GDM hacks -.-'

Thanks

Robin
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm unable to answer your question because I stopped installing/using GDM and KDM years ago because of all the problems they can cause after various upgrades. The startx command from the command line doesn't seem to suffer all those issues.

Have you considered trying that method of starting your GUI? It's not a bad way to go at all once you get used to it.
    oz

heh thats what I used to do.
    I decided to switch back to that when It all seemed to flaw.
    Thus I changed my xinit to say gnome-session instead of twm
    But Gnome Started all flawed. Loads of Errors.. As in Dock-Item x cant be loaded.

I managed to get Gnome but when I wanted to log into the Configscreen I got the error can't connect to DBus. So there is something broken.
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..