Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am running KDE 4.3.4 on Arch Linux. I've recently come across the so-called "desktop creatures" or "desktop pets" and now there is an AMOR cat sitting on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

xpenguins in KDE 4

Hello,

I am running KDE 4.3.4 on Arch Linux. I've recently come across the so-called "desktop creatures" or "desktop pets" and now there is an AMOR cat sitting on my windows. I also remembered the xpenguins application which walks a bunch a penguins across the desktop. I recall xpenguins worked pretty well in e16 (Enlightenment) about a year ago, however, it seems that KDE 4 will balk it because writing to the root window is not allowed any more.

I tried telling xpenguings to draw on the "plasma-desktop" window, but there are 2 issues: 1) the window is redrawn at odd intervals, so I get trails of penguins 2) the penguins don't see any obstructions and fall down to the bottom edge of the screen, just behind the lower panel.

Has somebody managed to decently run xpenguings under KDE 4? Is there a working alternative? (Maybe launching several AMOR instances, which I haven't managed to do). Googling for "kde4 xpenguings" reveals only pages advising to forget xpenguings and use the Snow eyecandy, which is not what I'd like.

Just Joined!
    Hi

Search for xpenguins on gitorious.org to get my modifications to xpenguins so it works with kde4 (i can't post urls yet). You'll have to run autoreconf to generate the ./configure script.
    Let me know if you have any difficulties.

Cheers
    James

Quote Originally Posted by amalon View Post
    Search for xpenguins on gitorious.org to get my modifications to xpenguins so it works with kde4 (i can't post urls yet).
    Thank you! Unfourtunately, I will not have access to my main machine in the coming several days, so I won't be able to test your modifications sooner than that. Still, I will definitely try them out once I have my box back and will report here.