Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys I was wondering if anybody can help me with my problem. My remote machine is not headless. it has 2 monitors with a 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Cue
    Just Joined!

vnc resolution and monitor problem

Hi guys I was wondering if anybody can help me with my problem.
    My remote machine is not headless. it has 2 monitors with a 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm trying to access it via VNC on a widescreen 800x480 linux phone.

usually when I connect to the remote machine I have to disable one of the screens and set a 800x600 resolution, seeing as none of the monitors support 800x480.

I was wondering if this can be done automatically when I access the pc via VNC

1) disable one of the monitors
    2) set a 800x480 resolution

which it sets back once the VNC session is over so that when I access the PC locally (normally) I don't have to re-enable the screen and set the resolution higher again.
    can I even force a widescreen resolution like 800x480 when the local monitor is 4:3 only?

thanks in advance.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't know if you can do this. It may be possible on some VNC clients and/or servers, but not on the ones I'm using - RealVNC free viewer 4.1.2 client on CentOS, and RealVNC server free edition 4.1.2 on Windows XP. More advanced tools might provide the feature you want, but you need to look into that to find out.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Cue
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I don't know if you can do this. It may be possible on some VNC clients and/or servers, but not on the ones I'm using - RealVNC free viewer 4.1.2 client on CentOS, and RealVNC server free edition 4.1.2 on Windows XP. More advanced tools might provide the feature you want, but you need to look into that to find out.
    thanks for the tip rubberman. it seems vino-server has no geometry option so I tried vnc4server which does, to try and see if

Code:
    vncserver -g 800x480
    does anything. it didn't throw an error at me but it didn't change the resolution either.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You might need the correlated client as well from vnc4. Do they have a vnc4client, or such?

Cue
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You might need the correlated client as well from vnc4. Do they have a vnc4client, or such?
    thanks, perhaps it is, i'll have a look. unfortunatly I'm somewhat restricted on what vnc client I can use since it is a phone (maemo) app and I have no idea what vnc variant it's based on. I can probably get other clients too but that would require me to work with source code and compile it on the ARM platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    thanks, perhaps it is, i'll have a look. unfortunatly I'm somewhat restricted on what vnc client I can use since it is a phone (maemo) app and I have no idea what vnc variant it's based on. I can probably get other clients too but that would require me to work with source code and compile it on the ARM platform.
    Well, part of the problem is getting the remote system to present an 800x480 screen. You can always have the remote system switch to 640x480 (vga) mode and not use quite all your available real-estate on the phone, or you can set it to svga mode (800x600) and scroll up/down when necessary. I think that one of those choices is your best option.