Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello! m trying to install cobol 85 application on linux 5.2 kernel 2.6.18-92.el5 managed ibcs successfully but now linux console terminal nor any network terminal are not giving correct display ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    tsc
    Just Joined!

termcap problem

hello! m trying to install cobol 85 application on linux 5.2 kernel 2.6.18-92.el5
    managed ibcs successfully but now linux console terminal nor any network terminal
    are not giving correct display of cobol application , no cursor control no clear screen..
    in user .bashrc i have used TERM=linux export TERM also tried vt100,ansi,vt420 etc

waiting for assistance..........Khan.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It's is entirely possible that the application is hard-wired for a specific terminal type that is not ansi/vt100 based.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

tsc
    Just Joined!

termcap problem

thanks Rubberman for your reply, but this application is working on RH-linux-8.0
    and there the .bashrc entries are TERM=linux export TERM and every thing
    is working well there, We needed to build a new system on newer version of
    linux which can support large hard disks therefore i choosed linux 5.2 with
    kernel 2.6.18-92.el5 it has RAID tool for disk partition..I have solved IBCS problem
    but now termcap is unsolved.......

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I suspect that your cobol compiler is configured to use either curses or ncurses for cursor addressability and input handling. It could be that there is an issue with the libraries being used on the new system. You might also need some changes to the terminfo/termcap database that is being used. So, first compare the terminfo/termcap databases on the old and new system to see if there are differences in the 'linux' entry.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

tsc
    Just Joined!
    Thanks again ..I went for the short cut I copied bashrc and termcap from
    linux-8 /etc and pasted in linux-5.2 kernel 2.6.18-92-el5 ..remaining config.was
    the same TERM=linux export Term in Terminal .bashrc ...It worked fine......