Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have RHEL 2.9-5. I was trying to install Cairo-1.8.10 on it. I was using the options --enable-xlib during configure. It complained of some missing xlib libraries. So, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RHEL display help please !!

Hi,

I have RHEL 2.9-5. I was trying to install Cairo-1.8.10 on it. I was using the options --enable-xlib during configure. It complained of some missing xlib libraries.

So, I copied all the files under /usr/X11R6/lib from another linux PC that already had Cairo (same version). The cairo installation was then successful.

However, while I was copying the files, my screen suddenly went blank. There was just a blue background with a "X" for the mouse.

I can telnet to the machine and access files etc., but I cannot access the desktop and other GUI applications.

I am not very familiar with linux and I think I may have removed/changed some of the X11 files.

Can someone please help me as I need to use some GUI based applications (gnomint etc.). ?

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by whisper1975; 02-27-2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Modification

RHEL2 is long since EOL, you should make backups and upgrade to latest (RHEL5) which will most likely solve hardware issues.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As coopstah13 said, RHEL 2.x is very old - current version is 5.4. The kernel, system libraries, X server, et al are very much different. What you did was to corrupt your system. You will need to boot into runlevel 3 and fix the libraries before you will be able to run your GUI.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!