Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am having a problem with my Linux desktop/X-windows. I had posted this in another zone, but thought that this forum would be more appropriate. I have RHEL 2.9-5. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux desktop issue

Hi,

I am having a problem with my Linux desktop/X-windows.

I had posted this in another zone, but thought that this forum would be more appropriate.

I have RHEL 2.9-5. I was trying to install Cairo-1.8.10 on it. I was using the options --enable-xlib during configure. It complained of some missing xlib libraries.

So, I copied all the files under /usr/X11R6/lib from another linux PC that already had Cairo (same version). The cairo installation was then successful.

However, while I was copying the files, my screen suddenly went blank. There was just a blue background with a "X" for the mouse.

I can telnet to the machine and access files etc., but I cannot access the desktop and other GUI applications.

I am not very familiar with linux and I think I may have removed/changed some of the X11 files. Is it possible to repair the libraries without actually affecting the cairo installation ?

Can someone please help me as I need to use some GUI based applications (gnomint etc.). ?

thanks in advance.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by whisper1975 View Post
    I had posted this in another zone, but thought that this forum would be more appropriate.
    Hello and welcome!

Duplicate threads are not allowed:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ums-rules.html

... but I've moved your other thread to this forum so that you can continue any discussion on this topic there.

Thank you.
    oz