Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear friends, This is my first posting. Actually I am new to linux. I am using Fedora core 2. My problem is, I downloaded ICONS-Gartoon.Blue-v1.2.tar.bz2 from kde-look.org.I was in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

lost my KDE desktop

Dear friends,
    This is my first posting. Actually I am new to linux. I am using Fedora core 2.
    My problem is,
    I downloaded ICONS-Gartoon.Blue-v1.2.tar.bz2 from kde-look.org.I was in the 'user' account.Without untarring the application, I went to: 'start here'->appearences and themes->icons->new themes and then I browsed to the tar file on my desktop. Then I pressed OK. soon after this, my desktop went blank and I got this message:

Klipper crash (window)
    SIGABRT signal 6

Even after restarting my computer I am not getting my desktop back. But, from root I could see all my files intact. Also if I am entering by GNOME desktop, everything is OK.Please help me how to restore my KDE desktop.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ashfaq_m
    Even after restarting my computer I am not getting my desktop back
    what do you mean? What are you getting instead?
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    At restart, I am again getting the window saying this:

Klipper crash (window)
    SIGABRT signal 6 and few other things like I have to report this to kde website for bug etc ..

One interesting thing is, after i login , one sartup application 'skype' is starting up and I could login into it. Only this application is visible, and nothing else except blue screen.

Linux Engineer
    you probably need to manually edit the config file that stores what kde theme you're using and remove the offending reference to the tarball'ed theme.. and then unpack the theme and try again.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Same thing! Same package of icons (v1.3), anyway, and mine is dead...Bootsplash flickers then dies, leaving me with a pretty gray screen...

Originally posted by lordnothing
    you probably need to manually edit the config file that stores what kde theme you're using and remove the offending reference to the tarball'ed theme.. and then unpack the theme and try again.
    Which config file?!?

AAAAAHHHHHH the dreaded X Window grey sceen, SAVE ME. Only advice I have is reinstalling your distro, or booting it in rescue mode from the cd, most have this nowadays. EXCEPT ******* TOPOLOGI LINUX, stupin run on MS windows POS, stops working ten times outta nine..
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

If all else fails, and you just gotta have KDE back, sign in as root, then go into your home directory and trash .kde. That is trash, not delete! When you sign back in as user, it will be like starting over. You'll have to re-configure KDE and it's associated apps to your personal preferences.

Again, only do this if you must have KDE and everything else fails.

In the meantine, if you find and remedy the offending file in your trashed .kde, you can then move it back to your home directory, and everything should be as before.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here