Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, How can I hide the 'Filesystem' option in Nautilus and in the standard GNOME dialog boxes (like 'Open', 'Save' etc) for non-root users? I want only the home/<user> ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Filesystem in GNOME

Hi Guys,

How can I hide the 'Filesystem' option in Nautilus and in the standard GNOME dialog boxes (like 'Open', 'Save' etc) for non-root users? I want only the home/<user> or just home available in them for the users to access. Or is there a way to control what can be made available through the filemanagers and dialog boxes?

Background is this. I am trying to provide linux to users who may have been acquainted with Windows or fairly new to use any operating system. In either cases everything under /, I feel, is irrelevant to the users. I am going to mount home from a different partition and let all the (non-root)users play only in that partition. This will avoid a lot of confusion for the users in the initial phase.

Please let me know if I am not clear in my question.

Thanks

Hi,

most GNOME applications use the default GtkFileChooserDialog

Its left sidepane, the "shortcuts pane", is constructed in
    Public Git Hosting - gtk-with-powerbox.git/blob - gtk/gtkfilechooserdefault.c

See the "ShortcutsIndex" enum.
    As far as I can ascertain it, the list is somewhat hardcoded, so you would have to do a recompile in order to remove the "File System" entry.

On the other hand, newer versions of Gnome have this small triangle beside the "Places" tab. If you click it, you can switch to the "Tree" mode. This tree goes as far as the user's home dir, not below.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Just Joined!
    Hi Gnu-Fan,

Thanks for the reply. I do not want to mess up with the standard packages. So, I rule out the compile option. It will save half the effort in making the people to use Linux if that can be done.

The 'Tree' mode still includes '/'. I am using nautilus in Mandriva2010.

First off, if permissions have not been mucked with, and they are non-root users, they can't play outside of their home directory and directories with access specifically opened up for them or the world.

And secondly, why do you feel it is necessary to hide the fact that there is a bigger file system out there? Just because they are Windows users (or new users) doesn't mean they need a pacifier. Let's not squelch their curiousity. Its what drives learning.

The point is, I have started numerous non-technical people on Linux. None of them has had a problem with seeing a reference to the root file system. My 8 yo can boot up Linux, hit the web, run games, access files from the account she logs into, and she doesn't run rampant across the file system wondering "where am I". When she gets lost, she closes Nautilus and reopens it in the home directory. Done.