Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'm aware that i can manually add pictures as icons, but i was looking for something that was slightly more automated. in windows if you name a jpg 'Folder.jpg' it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Desktop with picture for folder icons.

i'm aware that i can manually add pictures as icons, but i was looking for something that was slightly more automated. in windows if you name a jpg 'Folder.jpg' it will become the icon picture for that folder. that is a great solution because my media is on a separate partition, and if i decide to reformat i do not wish to go through all my pictures and movies manually adding each individual picture icon.

so i was wondering, is there a desktop environment that something similar is possible? is there a package or source for an application that can automatically do it for me? a bash script maybe?

the icons themselves would need to be fairly large and not spread out, some annoyances with nautilus is that you can set icons manually, but they are tiny and almost inperceptible, if you increase the size of the icons, the space between them also increases until you have one folder per line. such a fundamental feature, i thought it would be in place a long time ago on Linux.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    bump, its quite a simple question really. thanks.

As this is such a simple question, have you GOOGLED for it yet?

With your smart remarks you have to be very careful. Just because you don't receive an answer doesn't mean we are not willing to help but most likely we do not know the answer to your question or the person/persons who know haven't seen your question yet.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    well thank you very much for your input. what's this google you were talking about? never heard of it. even if i were to search the web for an answer to my solution, it is not exactly an easy problem to formulate into a few simple words.

my question was designed to extract some useful experience as opposed to a simple right and wrong answer. im pretty sure that everyone on this forum uses a desktop manager of some kind, maybe just some pointers, advice, or just a suggestion to try.

it was a simple question really, but there is no right or wrong answer, just the best one.

Thank you for your helpful input, but to be honest, i never seem to get any replies to any quesitons i ask at all.. some of them are really simple, but turn up nothing on google. hence why i ask, the i wait for 48 hour for an answer that never comes. so i repost, maybe slighly frustrated at being ignored, then i finally get a reply to one of my posts, and it is you. saying what does not need to be said.

i give up on these forums and people in general.

How is that a fundamental feature?
    That's a neat toy at best.
    So probably only few people have the same problem.
    From that few only a part is active in forums.

You couldnt find that feature and asked here.
    Fair enough.
    But declaring it an "easy question" just to motivate people to answer..
    I dont know.
    If it's so easy, you can figure it out, right?

Reading documentation of the various desktop environments might help.
    Please report back what you found out.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Apart from that,
    after 30seconds of googling:
    Changing the Icon for a File or Folder
    And it works
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Linux Guru
    i give up on these forums and people in general.
    You need a sense of humor and pateince to run Linux for any extended period of time. We are all volunteers here. I am more of a Biker than a Linux user.

Now to your question.
    Start Here

in windows if you name a jpg 'Folder.jpg' it will become the icon picture for that folder. that is a great solution because my media is on a separate partition, and if i decide to reformat i do not wish to go through all my pictures and movies manually adding each individual picture icon.
    I do this already in Puppy Linux using Rox File Manager.

Lets say I have a partition called /Outlaw

I can right click in rox and pick set icon from the menu.
    I can then go to a cutom icon folder in /home (which I have downloaded custom icons for)
    Open that folder and pick a icon and drag and drop it into set icon. Before I do. I have 3 choices on how I want that icon to apply as far as whether it is only that folder, the folders also inside that directory, or use that icon system wide.

I drag and drop that icon into set icon box. It closes. All my folders now have that icon now depending on what choice I made regarding how I wanted that icon applied.

Rox File manager is availabale in Ubuntu thru Synaptic Package manager.

Now grow some thick skin and don't be sensitive. Pick up your toys and come back and play with the big boys.

Linux Guru
    Here is just a small example

Screenshot-~ (Thumbs) .jpg

Just Joined!
    NiGhtMarEs0nWax
    More time went into making that ridiculous nickname than anything.

oz
    forum.guy
    Locking this one, guys... the OP has given up on these forums and people, so I see nothing to be gained by leaving this thread open.

The OP can start a new thread should he decide to try again.
    Last edited by oz; 04-01-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    oz