Find the answer to your Linux question:
In short: How would I go about getting X to have my video card with a DVI-I output send both the digital and analog signal or just the analog signal, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

X not working with a DVI-I-to-VGA convertor

In short: How would I go about getting X to have my video card with a DVI-I output send both the digital and analog signal or just the analog signal, as opposed to just the digital signal?

I've got a Dell Optiplex SX270, which only has a DVI-I display output. However, I only have a monitor with VGA, so I'm using a small adapter which ignores the digital signal in DVI-I and passes on only the analog signal.

I haven't been able to get X to work in any distribution I've cared to use on it (Debian, Ubuntu) though it worked out of the box with a couple I didn't particularly care for (DSL, Zenwalk) but I have no idea what caused them to work and not the others.

Anyway, I suspect that X is sending only the digital signal, which would explain why it's not working with my monitor. How would I go about getting X to have the video card send both the digital and analog signal or just the analog signal?

Thanks,
    David

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I use a DVI to VGA converter all the time, with no problems at all. The main thing is that the display can handle the appropriate resolution that is specified in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. You may need to modify that. As for the digital->analog conversion, that should not even be visible to the system itself.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!