Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Places Menu is messed up. First off before I had Music, Documents, Videos, and Pictures right under the menu but now they are under a sub menu called "Bookmarks" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gnome Places Menu messed up

My Places Menu is messed up.

First off before I had Music, Documents, Videos, and Pictures right under the menu but now they are under a sub menu called "Bookmarks" (First See screenshot).

Now it's even more messed up with them not appearing at all, but some weird text that says "Count=1..." (See second screenshot).

How do I fix this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you open up the file browser, you can select the view mode in the left-hand panel. Choose the 'places' view and you can drag-and-drop folders into this to have them appear in the 'places' menu. By default, Gnome limits the number of folders that can be in this menu, anything added after this limit is reached (I think it's like 5 or 6) goes under 'Bookmarks'.

Also, I think there's a text file you can edit directly - hmm, I see a .gtk-bookmarks file with the bookmarks in the home folder. This might also be of some help.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Hmm I see a line here:

0-03-11T03:29:08Z" count="1"/>
    file:///home/mpg/Ubuntu%20One Ubuntu One
    So this means by bookmarks is corrupted?

I don't see Music, Videos, Picture, or Documents. I guess it's not that hard to add them again...

EDIT: Did it, but they still appear in the Bookmarks sub folder. Is there way to change this behavior?

Just Joined!

Smile Try this

Hi,
    Please edit your .gtk-bookmarks in your home directory as following and save the file.
    file:///home/mpg/Documents
    file:///home/mpg/Music
    file:///home/mpg/Pictures
    file:///home/mpg/Videos

Ans see changes.I think it will work.