Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I want to install Slitaz Linux on my new ASUS laptop. It has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 1Gb graphics card. I tried to boot from the Slitaz ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with Xvesa screen resolution

Hi

I want to install Slitaz Linux on my new ASUS laptop. It has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 1Gb graphics card.

I tried to boot from the Slitaz live CD, but it said that "no screen was detected". This is due to the fact that Slitaz now uses Xorg, which doesn't seem to work on my laptop.

So, I got a Slitaz version that uses Xvesa, and it worked fine. However, the highest resolution I could get is 1024x768. At this resolution, everything looks wider than it should because I have a wide 14" screen.

I would like to be able to get better resolutions on Xvesa OR get Xorg to work on my laptop.

Thanks,

What resolution are you trying for? Slitaz does have a boot option for screen res. It might work.

At the boot prompt, you do
    Code:
    slitaz screen=1440x900x24
    Replace 1440x900 with your desired resolution. (And the 24 is color depth.)

There is also an automated installer for the proprietary ATI driver, which should work with your card. It's under System Tools->Hardware Detection and Drivers.

Just Joined!
    Hi

I tried entering the following at the boot screen:
    slitaz screen=1360x768x24
    Nothing appears to be changed. I checked /etc/X11/screen.conf and found the correct resolution [the same one that I entered]

Still, the screen looks a bit wider than it should and there is a little blur around all text, which is very annoying.

I tried using the Hardware Detection tool, but the ATI Catalyst program tells me to use aticonf, which in turn tells me that there are no supported adapters detected

This is really annoying because I think that Slitaz is the perfect distro for me, and now I have this annoying problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close