Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys, for my senior project i decided to build my own linux system from scratch. so naturally i downloaded the LFS live cd and it cant pick up my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LFS distro cant pick up my monitor. wont let Xorg config

hey guys,

for my senior project i decided to build my own linux system from scratch.

so naturally i downloaded the LFS live cd and it cant pick up my hardware... specefically my monitor.

it says its going to put the monitor in an 800 600 at 60hz but when i click the "okay" button it doesnt continue formating my screen

then i rebooted it into the virtual console before running the x window system and i type in

gtf 800 600 60

hoping that itll manually set my screen resoultion so i can continue booting the live cd but that still doesnt work and i still get the same error message... since i didnt print out the LFS book i cannot build my system without the lfs live cd up and running

did i miss a step or something?

if it helps im booting this off of a compaq evo n115 notebook

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

thanks,

Dominic

Just Joined!
    <bump>

i hate to be "that guy" but in all seriousness i do have deadlines to meet here and really could use some advice

if i cant get this system set up soon im going to fall behind on my timeline

Once you get LFS installed, you can always boot up any LiveCD and duplicate the xorg.conf file from that to the LFS install.
    If you noticed on the LFS website, they do say:
    The LFS LiveCD is geared specifically toward providing a reliable host system for the purpose of building Linux From Scratch. Therefore, it may not be what you would envision as a "perfect" Linux system. It should, however, provide you with a comfortable enough environment so that you can, in turn, build your own "perfect" system
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Once you get LFS installed, you can always boot up any LiveCD and duplicate the xorg.conf file from that to the LFS install.
    If you noticed on the LFS website, they do say:
    so youre saying then that i should just install LFS to my harddrive and then use another distribution to build the actual system?

What you could probably do, is install LSF to your HDD. Then use a LiveCD as a complete template on different ways to build, configure and tweak your system.

A LiveCD such as Knoppix would have good enough hardware detection that you could use the xorg files and other config files that it generates for your LFS system.

Once you have LFS in its new home on your system, just boot up to Knoppix, chroot into your system and make any needed changes.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    alright, finally solved my problem.

tried chrooting it, but i thought that would take too much time

went to terminal instead of typing in startx i typed in startxfce4 and what do you know? worked like a charm

resoultion is still a little fuzzy although im pretty sure i can fix that.

and the mouse driver seems to be a little off, anyone have any idea what could be causing that?

it seems like the (x,y) position on the mouse isnt corelating well to where i am on the desktop

for instance when i go to close a window i go to click the [X] but it hits the minimize instead

if that makes any sense?

Progress is a wonderful thing!

As far as the mouse tracking and fuzzy display, try working on your xorg.conf file.
    Since it is for a school project, try to fiddle with it for a few, see what you can hammer out
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Progress is a wonderful thing!

As far as the mouse tracking and fuzzy display, try working on your xorg.conf file.
    Since it is for a school project, try to fiddle with it for a few, see what you can hammer out
    dancing banana totally made my day

thanks guys if it wasnt for your help i would of still been stuck trying to figure out what the heck i was doing