Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using Fedora Core 2: I left my computer running all night, checked it this morning, and left for class. Everything was fine. I came back a few hours later, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Restroring GNOME settings

Using Fedora Core 2:

I left my computer running all night, checked it this morning, and left for class. Everything was fine. I came back a few hours later, and the icons are gone from my desktop, my background image is gone, I can't click-drag the mouse to highlight parts of the desktop, and I can't open up the filebrowser from the redhat menu.

I logged out and logged back in under KDE, and everything seemed to work fine under KDE, so I logged out and back in under GNOME again, but everything is still broken.

I'm not really certain how or why this happened. Is there an easy way to get all this stuff fixed?

Just Joined!
    under your console type:::

$ rm -rf {.gnome*,.gconf*}
    $

That will wipe your GNOME Desktop settings and the next time you log in, you'll find the default desktop

Just Joined!
    thanks
    hopefully it won't happen again.

Just Joined!
    so uh, i didn't even do this fix yet (i was in windows since FC2 was messed up) and i rebooted to go back to FC2. Logged in with GNOME, and everything is back to normal.

Sometimes I forget that a restart can fix multitudes of weird problems.

Just Joined!
    hmm. sometimes a good restart works.. you know what restarting and rebooting mean?

a restart {pressing reset or click reset on windows} -- a warm reboot, most dll's and files stay loaded etc.. very not good if there are problems

a reboot/poweroff {pressing the off button, or unplugging} -- a cold reboot, tis the bestest when programs, or os's are beening shity..

remember that when your having problems ^^

Just Joined!
    whatever, no need to be technical about it.

either way, i was in windows, and switched back to linux, and it was fine.