Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I want to add icewm to KDM display manager sessions drop down menu. I spent hours searching and read many HOWTO's and threads and finally i knew i must ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding new window manager to KDE

Hello,

I want to add icewm to KDM display manager sessions drop down menu.
    I spent hours searching and read many HOWTO's and threads and finally i knew i must edit my kdmrc file.

I noticed that the menu items in the kdmrc file differ from what i get during login so sure it is not that kdmrc!!..

I have 3 kdmrc files and 2 of them are links to the thired which is :

/etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc

I had not any alternative so I edited it in the all (X Greeter) headers for the SessionType entry and added my icewm..and as expected NO CHANGE !!..i dont know why?

Also my login manager in the KDE control center has not any option for session type.

I dont have any clue on this ..any suggestions ..any help..Thank you all.

Just Joined!
    OK. I did it finally!...and here is the solution for those who may face the same problem:

1. I found this line in the kdmrc file :
    SessionsDir=/usr/share/xsessions
    2. I found two files for the already installed sessions in the above path:
    kde.desktop and gnome.desktop
    So first I installed the required window manager package (icewm rpm for example) then I added a file icewm.desktop to the /usr/share/xsessions directory. I used the already installed desktop files (kde.desktop for example) as a guide to make my icewm.desktop replacing the name field etc.

That is all!...