Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody. Im not incredibly familiar with Linux, but not new to it either. Anyway, I had some trouble on a new install (Debian) with Gnome or X Window causing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Setting to default to NO GUI

Hi everybody. Im not incredibly familiar with Linux, but not new to it either. Anyway, I had some trouble on a new install (Debian) with Gnome or X Window causing my computer to be unusable. I have currently re-installed without the desktop option, so no GUI is installed. I just want to make sure that my system, by default, does not boot the GUI. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The boot loader is SILO, which I think is similar to LILO. The machine is a Sun Ultra5 with a 270MHz UltraSPARC, 384MB RAM, and a 40GB hard drive. I ultimately want to use this machine (or an Ultra2 I have) for CNC. Hopefully it is fast enough. I also am enjoying working on Sun hardware for the first time.

Well thanks for any help.

-Chris P

Just Joined!
    BTW, after I am sure that my system will not try to auto load the GUI, I plan to install Xfce.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    I have currently re-installed without the desktop option, so no GUI is installed. I just want to make sure that my system, by default, does not boot the GUI. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    If no Xserver or desktop environment/window manager are installed, I wouldn't think there would be any way it could boot to a GUI. Is that what you mean?
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Google: linux runlevel

To understand how Linux boots up.

What's the current runlevel set to?

Code:
    cat /etc/inittab

# The default runlevel.
    id:2:initdefault:
    Debian/Ubuntu = Runlevel 2

Google: debian runlevel disable gui

In short, you have nothing to disable if no desktop is installed. Only after one is installed can you "disable" it my removing the start link under /etc/rc2.d. You can do that manually or by using the update-rc.d command.

* Redhat/SuSE distro's use runlevel 3 as "multiuser + networking" and runlevel 5 as "multiuser, networking, and GUI." Debian/Ubuntu distro's do not and by default only use runlevel 2.

Just Joined!
    OK I checked and the file /etc/inittab states my default runlevel is 2. Seems to me the solution you gave me (to remove the start link) should be what I am after. So, shortly, my plan of action is to:

aptitude install xorg
    aptitude install xfce4

and then remove the start link under /etc/rc2.d/

First going to read the link you provided as well as Google.

Thanks again

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    If no Xserver or desktop environment/window manager are installed, I wouldn't think there would be any way it could boot to a GUI. Is that what you mean?
    I mean that I want to install a GUI, but after I install it, I do not want it to be loaded automatically.

Just Joined!
    I installed xorg and xfce. Then I ran the command update-rc.d -f xfce remove. Then I installed rcconf, ran it, and unchecked X11 (nice little program). I think that should be enough to make it safe to reboot without fear of it auto starting the GUI. But before I restart, Im going to configure xorg.conf a little.

Just Joined!
    OK I successfully re-booted and the GUI did not automatically try to start. So this problem is solved.

Time for the next problem, getting a GUI or X to work! That will be the subject of a new thread.

Thanks for the help

-Chris P