Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm thinking about buying ATI's Radeon HD 5870 eyefinity6 card and turning a linux box into a multi-headed monster that can serve two users as well as do other useful ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

multi seat config with 1 video card

I'm thinking about buying ATI's Radeon HD 5870 eyefinity6 card and turning a linux box into a multi-headed monster that can serve two users as well as do other useful stuff in the living room related to the TV and DVR.

But before I go out and buy that stuff I wanted to see if anyone here thought it was possible to do what I suggest without having to dedicate a separate video card to each screen in xorg.conf. All I could find online was to do it that way. Is it possible to hook up screens with separate mouse/keyboard/logins to the same video adapter?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are a number of dual, and even some quad-head cards out there. I think, however, that most experienced Linux users will recommend nVidia cards over the ATI's. They seem to have better Linux driver support, although their drivers are proprietary. I currently run an 8800GT card in my system with dual 1920x1200 displays on it. Works great!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I can't say that I've run ATI on linux ever, but I know they have open source radeon drivers.