Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have an ubuntu karmic with a vnc server apparently installed. Try to log in it with my mac (this is the client). Connection works fine but I only ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[Solved] NX or VNC, remote screen frozen. Single snapshot and that's it.

Hi,

I have an ubuntu karmic with a vnc server apparently installed.
    Try to log in it with my mac (this is the client). Connection works fine but I only get a single snapshot of my remote desktop. Frozen desktop with all my windows open as they are on the current gnome session on the server. My actions are actually effective (when I click around, the desktop reacts on the remote machine), but I get no movement on my client.

I say. Ok, anyways, I read every here and there that VNC is somehow outdated, not so secure so I decide to move to NX. I install freeNX server on the ubuntu and try to log in again with my mac, using the nx client from nomachine.org.
    There, when I shadow the current session, I again get a single capture of the screen. It doesn't move, but actions are effective.
    When I log in under a new session, I get everything working perfectly fine.

My questions:
    Does anyone have this issue? (I've read it here and there so I guess the answer is yes)
    What is the fix? Anyone found a way to get the display move again?

Thanks!
    Peace,
    Max
    Last edited by dnacombo; 05-31-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Solved !

Just Joined!
    Hehe, I will make a quick reply to myself in case it helps anyone:
    It is the fancy visual effects I had set on my desktop. Of course, remote desktop does not transmit fast enough for the funky giggle of the windows when you maximize them in gnome using the advanced visual effects gnome kindly offers.
    I did system>preferences>appearance>visual effects, turned off completely the funky visuals and it now runs perfectly fine. Not as nice as it used to be but I'm afraid there's no workaround here.

Enjoy!

Just Joined!

Arrow nVidia proprietary drivers may be the issue

Hi,

Are you using the proprietary nVIDIA drivers? I have the same issue, and it turns out to be an issue with the proprietary nVIDIA drivers. It has been fixed in the most recent driver release, I believe.

You can see details about the bug on Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/xorg-server/+bug/353126 . Go to the last page of comments to see links to the nVIDIA-related solution information. I don't know exactly where it is. Basically, if you want to continue using the nVIDIA proprietary driver with VNC or any similar application that uses the X Damage extension, you will need to update to the latest driver version. (I think.)

Hope this helps.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Sounds like but ubuntu bug #353126

Sounds like a problem with your video card driver

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126

Looks like it's been fixed (with recent updates to drivers). That is, if you actually want the effects to start with

Just Joined!

Resolved for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dnacombo View Post
    Hehe, I will make a quick reply to myself in case it helps anyone:
    It is the fancy visual effects I had set on my desktop. Of course, remote desktop does not transmit fast enough for the funky giggle of the windows when you maximize them in gnome using the advanced visual effects gnome kindly offers.
    I did system>preferences>appearance>visual effects, turned off completely the funky visuals and it now runs perfectly fine. Not as nice as it used to be but I'm afraid there's no workaround here.

Enjoy!
    Brilliant! This fixed my remote access issue with VNC on my Linux Mint Box. Your solution was my solution. Thanks!