Find the answer to your Linux question:
so i just got a new apple 30" display, which just worked right out the box, but now i tried to add a second 24" monitor and it doesn't seem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

8800gtx + apple 30" cinema display, adding second display possible?

so i just got a new apple 30" display, which just worked right out the box, but now i tried to add a second 24" monitor and it doesn't seem to work, doesn't even have a book screen, have to start blind and then when x server starts i get a screen if i plug them both in

i tried changed /etc/X11/xorg.conf though the nvidia gui thing, i tried twin-view but this didn't work at all, just got the apple screen working like there wan't a second screen, then i tried clone and on the 24" monitor i kept blinking with the right screen but it was all blueish, what made me think it was a hardware limitation

anyone know if this is possible, or even in windows i can't get them to work there either

i'm running custom 2.6.26.8 kernel (for vmware) with everything else Debian

sounds like a faulty monitor to me, it should work with no problems

I use dual monitors and they aren't the same, I have no problem

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you installed the proprietary nVidia driver? I'm running an 8800GT w/ dual monitors and it works just great.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    yeah i've run dual moniters before without a problem with 24" + 19", now i've gotta 30" + 19", but not 30" + 24"

but now i think there is a limit to what my gpu can handle, i changed xorg.conf for a dual set up with the 30" + 24" and once x server started only the 30" worked, but once i ran into single user mode the 24" was the terminal, but rather than black and white it was all blue and white, looked like the hardware couldn't handle it as it looked fuzzy (normally black and white)

Just Joined!
    I am guessing it is a hardware issue. An 8800GTX is a pretty good card. But a 30 and 24 inch monitor is going to take some horse power.

Can you run your 30 with a 19?
    What kind of CPU do you have?
    How about the power supply? I once smoked an ATI 3870 because the power supply was too small.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The size of the display should not matter. It is the resolution that might make a difference. In either case, the 8800gtx card should handle dual monitors of just about any available resolution. It might drop back the pixel depth (# of colors) if necessary, but it should still use both without difficulty. In fact, even if both were run to 1920x1200 or higher at 24-bit color depth, this is not difficult for that card. So, either the card or one of the monitors is having a problem (monitor is most likely). The other possibility is that the kernel mods made for the VMWare installation are causing a problem with the nvidia driver (least likely). So, what happens if you ONLY plug in the 24" display? If it works, then you know that the problem isn't with the monitor. If not, then switch the ports on the card and try again. If that works, then you know that the problem is with the card. If not, then the monitor is bad.

Just Joined!
    thanks for replies

well first off yes i could get the 30" and the 19" to work together without a problem, but even in windows i couldn't get 30" and 24" to work when they where both plugged in to with dvi, wouldn't even switch between them without a blank screen, and they both work on there own. so i figured it was a bios bug, and put the 24" with a dvi to vga connecter either side and it works a charm . i didn't think you could get 1920x1200 resolution with vga but i guess you can

cheers

Strange. So you are saying that if the 30" is plugged in directly DVI and the 24" is plugged in w/ a DVI<->vga adapter (vga port on display) that they both work? Well, if that's the case, then I am totally bumfuzzled. As someone wiser than I once said, "Huh?"...

Just Joined!
    lol thats why it took me so long to try it

I assume that you also tried switching the DVI ports used by the 30" and 24" displays? If the behavior is the same, or similar (one doesn't work unless you use the DVI<->VGA converter) then I have to think that the problem is physical and associated with the video card (some sort of impedence or other electrical problem perhaps); however, you might want to check the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and make sure that it isn't configured for the second display to be a VGA (analog) monitor instead of digital.