Find the answer to your Linux question:
After some time with Debian Squeeze, there was an update from KDE 4.3.4 to KDE 4.4.4. After the installation the (for me) most important applications (kontact, kmail, kaddressbook, korganizer, akregator, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Akonadi server the big disaster for KDE

After some time with Debian Squeeze, there was an update from KDE 4.3.4 to KDE 4.4.4. After the installation the (for me) most important applications (kontact, kmail, kaddressbook, korganizer, akregator, knotes) quitted to work. The cause was quickly found. It is now imperative that the Akonadi server and MySQL server runs.

Unfortunately the Akonadi server was not able to start. I then searched the Internet for a solution and tried many things, but without positive result. The anger over Akonadi and the step backwards from KDE was perceived as a big disaster.
    I also could not understand how anyone could make such a step backwards as KDE did. I used kmail, korganizer and kaddressbook since KDE version 1. It was always possible and easy to migrate all data to the new version. Until KDE 4.4.4.

I have performed many hours of lost time after a downgrade and pinned the KDE to version 4.3. So I had a mixed system with the new KDE 4.4.4 and kdepim from version 4.3.

That worked well for several weeks. Then came in the middle of June 2010 once again a lot of updates, including some libraries from kdepim. Unfortunately I had not pinned these libraries and Debian Squeeze installed it. So again nothing worked. I have spent many hours for it again, get to Akonadi server up and running. Even I managed this twice. Kaddressbook (rather what is left of the address book yet) seems to work, while Akonadi server was running. But if kaddressbook was running (with akonadi) at the same time kmail did not start and vice versa.
    A downgrade of KDE was no longer possible, this time.

After so many hours, while my system was paralyzed completely, I decided to install Kubuntu Karmic Koala with KDE 4.3. Although this has again taken a lot of time, but now everything works again.

Long term, I am searching for an alternative for KDE-PIM with kmail, kaddressbook, korganizer. Maybe I change to Gnome?
    Perhaps by then Debian is also responsible and remove the unstable, ineffective alpha software Akonadi server or at least remove the dependencies from that needless software!

Quote Originally Posted by Ito_Okami View Post
    After some time with Debian Squeeze, there was an update from KDE 4.3.4 to KDE 4.4.4. After the installation the (for me) most important applications (kontact, kmail, kaddressbook, korganizer, akregator, knotes) quitted to work. The cause was quickly found. It is now imperative that the Akonadi server and MySQL server runs.

Unfortunately the Akonadi server was not able to start. I then searched the Internet for a solution and tried many things, but without positive result. The anger over Akonadi and the step backwards from KDE was perceived as a big disaster.
    I also could not understand how anyone could make such a step backwards as KDE did. I used kmail, korganizer and kaddressbook since KDE version 1. It was always possible and easy to migrate all data to the new version. Until KDE 4.4.4.

I have performed many hours of lost time after a downgrade and pinned the KDE to version 4.3. So I had a mixed system with the new KDE 4.4.4 and kdepim from version 4.3.

That worked well for several weeks. Then came in the middle of June 2010 once again a lot of updates, including some libraries from kdepim. Unfortunately I had not pinned these libraries and Debian Squeeze installed it. So again nothing worked. I have spent many hours for it again, get to Akonadi server up and running. Even I managed this twice. Kaddressbook (rather what is left of the address book yet) seems to work, while Akonadi server was running. But if kaddressbook was running (with akonadi) at the same time kmail did not start and vice versa.
    A downgrade of KDE was no longer possible, this time.

After so many hours, while my system was paralyzed completely, I decided to install Kubuntu Karmic Koala with KDE 4.3. Although this has again taken a lot of time, but now everything works again.

Long term, I am searching for an alternative for KDE-PIM with kmail, kaddressbook, korganizer. Maybe I change to Gnome?
    Perhaps by then Debian is also responsible and remove the unstable, ineffective alpha software Akonadi server or at least remove the dependencies from that needless software!

openSUSE has a great KDE 4.x implementation. You can decide for yourself which KDE 4.x version that you want to have installed via YaST repositories.

With the Stable KDE 4.x version Akonadi service works

I have been running openSUSE for the last 3 years and I will not go to another Distro, but that is just my humble opinion.

Cheers!
    eTech97

Just Joined!

Red face

Thank you for the tip, eTech97!

A few years ago I always used SuSE. For various reasons I then decided against SuSE. Above all, I preferred the Debian apt-get package management.

Perhaps I will try the current version of SuSE by the next installation.
    Now I am glad that everything works fine again with Kubuntu Karmic Koala.