Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I scroll over one of my Gnome Panels (auto-hide enabled) I have to wait 300-500 ms for it to pop out. I want it to display immediately upon a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gnome Panel Customization

When I scroll over one of my Gnome Panels (auto-hide enabled) I have to wait 300-500 ms for it to pop out. I want it to display immediately upon a rollover, how do I change this? I'm using Gnome Panel 2.6.0. I've done some searching on Google and it seems like what I was looking for could be accessed through the Control Center, but when I click on the Control Center in Fedora Core 2 it takes me to the preferences folder.

Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    I honestly don't know if this is configurable, but there seems to be something about it in the gconf key /apps/panel/global. Check out the panel_show_delay and panel_hide_delay options and see if they do the trick for you.

Just Joined!
    I think we're on the right path, but I still haven't been able to get it working.

What exactly should I write in my /apps/panel/global/%gconf.xml file? Right now, all it has is:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gconf>
            <entry name="enable_animations" mtime="1100200710" type="bool" value="true">
            </entry>
            <entry name="panel_animation_speed" mtime="1100200605" type="string">
                    <stringvalue>panel-speed-fast</stringvalue>
            </entry>
    </gconf>
    I've also tried editing the /etc/gconf/schemas/panel-global.schemas file and then tried "killall gnome-panel" and rebooted, but the changes still didn't seem to take effect. Hmm...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    How about using gconf-editor instead? I think that's easier. =)
    In any case, you shouldn't be editing the configs while gconfd is running. If you want to do it the command-line way, which I can understand if you do, then at least use gconftool instead, which communicates with the daemon instead of working behind its back.

Apart from that, I honestly don't know what those values are even supposed to do -- I just found them and thought they looked good. I don't deal that much with the depths of GNOME. If noone else can answer your question here on the forums, maybe you should send a message to some of the GNOME mailing lists and ask.

Just Joined!
    Heh, I'm still a Linux newbie, I didn't know about gconf-editor. Anyhow, when I try to edit the schema for panel_hide_delay in gconf-editor it says, "Currently pairs and schemas can't be edited. This will be changed in a later version." Humbug.

You have to be right though, what else could panel_hide_delay be used for? I suppose I'll try the GNOME newsletters, thanks Dolda.

Linux Guru
    Oh but you shouldn't edit the schema -- the schema is what determines the format of the value. You should edit the value itself. As far as I know, schema values only exist in the /schema subtree of the gconf database; have you managed to find any schema values outside that subtree?