Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please pardon how ignorant this post must sound as I am extremely new to Linux. And if I am barking up the wrong tree, kindly point me to the appropriate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

which is most likely to have all my drivers?

Please pardon how ignorant this post must sound as I am extremely new to Linux. And if I am barking up the wrong tree, kindly point me to the appropriate forum.

I will soon be installing Debian on an old box of mine. A friend has the CDs and has installed it many times so I think that part should go smooth. My concern is this: the box I'm installing this on has a SCSI drive and controller, 2 IDE CD drives and a Martox g400 duel-head video card. Everything else is pretty standard. When it comes time to install my X-windows system, is there one more likely to contain all the drivers I need (especially for the video card - although I don't necessarily need the dual-head functionality) than the others? or doesn't it matter?

I am concerned because my friend most likely will not have the time to walk me through this step so Im trying to get my hands around what will need to be done before I no longer have him as a help resource.

Thanks!!

Linux Guru
    Well, from what I've heard, Debian (at least Debian Stable, I don't know about Unstable or Testing, nor do I know which one you're attempting to install) ships with a lot of outdated software, which may impede driver availability.

Depending on your hardware specs, you may want to try another distro, such as Fedora Core.

Just Joined!
    hmmmmmmmmmm, that's dissapointing to hear but good to find out before I got in too deep.

Is Fedora relatively easy to install programs on - similar to Debian's "apt-get"?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Fedora features the "yum" program which is similar. It is unfortunately rather slow, but it works in about the same way.