Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Originally Posted by Dapper Dan Looks like I'm going to have to move away from pcmanfm. The latest version does not work correctly "out of the box" and now requires ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have to move away from pcmanfm. The latest version does not work correctly "out of the box" and now requires gvfs. When I went to install it, I discovered it requires a whole host of dependencies that it didn't need before so I'll forgo that. It's a shame. I really loved pcmanfm.
    Finding a suitable file manager for use with IceWM has proven to be more difficult that I figured it would be, so I'm still looking.

Regarding PCManFM... under Goals of Next Generation PCManFM on their web page, they say that they intend to eventually have a version of PCManFM with no Gnome dependencies. Maybe you can use it again once that comes out, whenever that might be (it's currently classified as low priority):

11. Gvfs dependency is only optional. If the dependencies of gvfs is not acceptible, we would like to fork gvfs and provide a stripped down version without gnome dependency. (long term goal, low priority)
    Edit: Oops... just reread that and it appears they want to fork gvfs to have no Gnome dependencies, not PCManFM. Not sure how all this will work out.
    oz

Whatever it takes to get rid of the gnome deps is good by me. But even with, I find pcmanfm to be quite good and very fast. I've moved to using that over thunar recently. (I do like the functionality gvfs provides.)

I keep trying out cli filemanagers hoping to find one that clicks for me. (MC just doesn't do it for me for some reason.) I've used lfm and vifm a bit and they're good, but I dunno, never quite gelled for me. Recently, I tried out ranger, though, and I'm quickly becoming a big fan. It may replace most my GUI file managing needs.

ozar, I might bite the bullet and install it with all dependencies as it's useless otherwise. As is, files open and I can maneuver around but I can't set file associations with apps to open them as I could with the older version. I even tried installing the older version in 2.7 and it gives other problems.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Whatever it takes to get rid of the gnome deps is good by me. But even with, I find pcmanfm to be quite good and very fast. I've moved to using that over thunar recently. (I do like the functionality gvfs provides.)

I keep trying out cli filemanagers hoping to find one that clicks for me. (MC just doesn't do it for me for some reason.) I've used lfm and vifm a bit and they're good, but I dunno, never quite gelled for me. Recently, I tried out ranger, though, and I'm quickly becoming a big fan. It may replace most my GUI file managing needs.
    I really wish that the Core and Extra repos for Arch had more packages to choose from (file managers in this case), because I try to stay clear of AUR, and don't even enable Community unless it's very necessary. Currently, my options for non-Gnome/KDE file managers found in Extra are limited to Emelfm2, Rox, PCManFM, and Thunar, and all of them have some annoyances and/or inconveniences. I also tried Xfe from the Community repo and it wasn't bad, but it also has some issues that I don't like, so it looks like the search is still on.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    ozar, I might bite the bullet and install it with all dependencies as it's useless otherwise. As is, files open and I can maneuver around but I can't set file associations with apps to open them as I could with the older version. I even tried installing the older version in 2.7 and it gives other problems.
    With my current file manager (Rox), I'm finally free from needing to install hal, rcpbind, and fam, and I like that so will probably stay clear of PCManFM unless they make it with fewer dependencies.

Do let us know how PCManFM works out for you.
    oz

Hmmm. All I can say is I run

Code:
    ~$ apt-cache policy pcmanfm
    pcmanfm:
      Installed: 0.9.7-1
      Candidate: 0.9.7-1
      Version table:
     *** 0.9.7-1 0
            500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    I zip and extract with file-roller. My SD and USB flash drives mount just fine in left pane in pcmanfm window (I think udev handles this in my distro). Right click on any file gives me a option of "open with" with a menu of application choices. Been stable and works for me. Below shows pcmanfm accessing and mounting and reading my external 4 gig SD flash drive with my Sci Fi audio books on it Plus whatever apps I am experimenting with as far as installing (like a temp for experiments)
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I use mimeman/mimeo to set file associations.

mimeman

oz
    forum.guy
    Dan, there is also PCManFM-Mod:

PCManFM-Mod IgnorantGuru's Blog

PCManFM-Mod | Download PCManFM-Mod software for free at SourceForge.net

I've never tried it so can't speak on it either way, but it might be worth taking a look if you haven't done so already.
    oz

Thanks guys I'll look into those. What happens is, when I click to open a file, it brings up the file association feature. You can fill in what yo want, save and the next time you click on the same or any other file, it brings that feature up again, never opening the file.

I reinstalled the older version of pcmanfm then updated it to current in 2.7. For some reason it now works even without installing gvfs the other dependencies! I have no idea why but I'm back in the saddle again!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast