Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Guys, with all this renewed talk around here about IceWM lately, I've just setup another IceWM box (on Arch Linux)! It's been a couple of years since my last experience ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

IceWM: what applications do you use with it?

Guys, with all this renewed talk around here about IceWM lately, I've just setup another IceWM box (on Arch Linux)!

It's been a couple of years since my last experience with it so I'd forgotten how long it takes to become familiarized with the config files and then get them tweaked. Note that this is IceWM in stand alone mode, without the support of any desktop environment because I don't want to install any Gnome/KDE libs, and other required files.

Just wondering what apps you have all found to work well with IceWM for the following purposes?

terminal:
    file manager:
    text editor:
    cd/dvd burning:
    web browsing:
    email client:
    ftp client:
    irc client:
    archiving:
    calculator:
    pdf viewer:
    graphics manipulation:
    image viewer:
    word processing:
    video player:
    music player:
    system monitoring:
    games (cards, mahjong, etc):
    miscellaneous apps:

Chances are very good that I've already used many of the apps that you might list, but I'd still interested in hearing your suggestions and how they've worked out for you on your IceWM setup.

...oh, and for comparison purposes, my current listing looks like this:

terminal: rxvt-unicode
    file manager: rox
    text editor: leafpad
    cd/dvd burning: graveman and command line
    web browsing: firefox
    email client: webmail
    ftp client: gftp
    irc client: xchat (rarely use irc)
    archiving: xarchiver and command line
    calculator: galculator
    pdf viewer: epdfview
    graphics manipulation: gimp
    image viewer: mirage
    word processing: abiword
    video player: mplayer
    music player: mplayer
    system monitoring: none (but may return to conky)
    games (cards, mahjong, etc): pysolfc
    miscellaneous apps: imagemagick, feh

Is there something really good that I'm missing?

Thanks!
    oz

Ok. Here is what my menu looks like

File managers= pcmanfm and rox
    Text editors = leafpad and geany
    Browser= Iceape or Seamonkey 2.0.8
    Chat= Chatzilla in Iceape/ Seamonokey
    Mail= Iceape Mail and Newsgroups (notice mail, and chat are included in browser. S no need for external chat and mail program)
    Office= Abiword,Osmo,Iceape Address Book,Calculator, and epdf viewer (I coud install gOo but abiword is enough for this biker)
    Terminal= urxvt and Rox Terminal
    Graphics=MTPaint and Geeqie and GColor2 (I use feh also)
    Multimedia= xmms,streamtuner,miro,Mplayer,Gxine,Cheese (I have a webcam),mhwaveedit ( have a miic)
    Use Skype also. I use a quick launch icon on Icewm toolbar to show my favorites also.

Run xkill with icon in quicklaunch.Run Conky on Icewm Desktop (all kinds of varient conky files like the horizontal one you used to run)
    Oh yeah, Gnome Baker for Disk burning.

Wireless I use Wicd or Rutilt or Ceni. Backup browser is Link2. Use Htop also. Grsync also. Thats all I can think of right now Ozar. Have a bunch of themes I gave to Dapper Dan also. Some f them were pretty colorful. You are welcome to em also. Just pm me.

Edit; Should also mention I have i x11-apps installed which is what pulled in my simple caluculator plus
    all the other stuff for x . xbitmaps was also installed already to go with it.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 09-25-2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Games. I forgot
    DosBox Emulator
    LBreakout2
    xmahjoong
    Galaga
    KETM
    Frozen-Bubble
    Galaga Hyperspace
    Extreme Tux Racer
    Ace Of Penguins
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Good thread ozar! I've often wondered what other IceWM users use when trying to stay as far from Gnome and KDE as possible. As for me on CRUX:

terminal: xterm
    file manager: PCmanFM... the perfect file manager for IceWM.
    text editor: (command line) joe which I use 90% of the time, (in X) leafpad
    cd/dvd burning: ( I burn on another box running Ubuntu) K3b
    web browsing: Firefox mostly, sometimes google-chrome or links-graphics
    email client: none, I use Gmail
    ftp client: Filezilla
    irc client: irssi or ChatZilla
    calculator: Xcalc and lately galculator
    pdf viewer: acroread
    graphics manipulation: Gimp
    image viewer: Gqview
    word processing: Open Office
    video player: SMplayer
    music player: Xmms or VLC
    system monitoring: The little app on the IceWM toolbar
    games (cards, mahjong, etc): FrozenBubble, StarCraft, Steam games, Tremulous, Trespasser among others
    miscellaneous apps: FrostWire, Audacity, Picasa, Google-earth
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Roky, I see some apps in your list I'm unfamiliar with and will check out. Did you get those ancient IceWM themes okay?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Run xkill with icon in quicklaunch.Run Conky on Icewm Desktop (all kinds of varient conky files like the horizontal one you used to run)
    Oh yeah, Gnome Baker for Disk burning.
    xkill... I rarely use it these days but remember a time when it was needed often!

You have a good memory, recalling that I ran the horizontal oriented conky!

I'd forgotten about Gnome Baker, but might take another look at it... thanks!
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    terminal: xterm
    file manager: PCmanFM... the perfect file manager for IceWM.
    word processing: Open Office
    video player: SMplayer
    music player: Xmms or VLC
    system monitoring: The little app on the IceWM toolbar
    For terminal, check out rxvt-unicode if you haven't already... it's nice!

I do like PCmanFM, but wish they'd hurry up with the newly rewritten version the devs have been working on.

Wow... OpenOffice is huge for such a lightweight WM, but it is the best office suite, for sure.

Did you install Qt for VLC, or did you find a way around it?

The little system monitor on the toolbar isn't great, but it's probably adequate for my needs. Still might take another look at conky.

Thanks for the feedback.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    For terminal, check out rxvt-unicode if you haven't already... it's nice!
    I used rxvt years ago. Is there a difference between regular rxvt and unicode? I hated xterm until I figured out how to copy and paste with it. That was my only obstacle to adopting it as my default.
    Wow... OpenOffice is huge for such a lightweight WM, but it is the best office suite, for sure.
    It's necessary since we use it on all the machines at my radio station. It makes it easier for me to help someone with a word processing issue if I have OO right in front of me. I liked Abiword but at the time we looked at it, it didn't have the same level of needed features we got from Open Office.
    Did you install Qt for VLC, or did you find a way around it?
    It's been a while so I can't remember for sure... I think I downloaded the package from their site. My VLC is pretty plain looking so I don't know if it is relying on QT or not.
    The little system monitor on the toolbar isn't great, but it's probably adequate for my needs. Still might take another look at conky.
    Tried conky once but didn't feel like it was providing me info I had to have that wasn't already easily at hand. To each his own though...

oz
    forum.guy
    Regarding themes, I ended up going with IceClearlooks and it started looking really good once gtk-engines and gtk-theme-switch2 were installed and configured. I've used IceDesert a few times but never could adapt to it. It took a while to adapt once again to Rox-filer, too. Might give PCmanFM another try, but it seems that development on it has pretty much stopped while they work on the rewrite.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Roky, I see some apps in your list I'm unfamiliar with and will check out. Did you get those ancient IceWM themes okay?
    Got them. Installed them. Laughed and grinned at the neatness and simplicity (mine seem gaudy by comparison). Thanks for the themes Dan.

Forgot to mention for run in Icewm menu I use gexec. I have MCFiler also installed for terminal file Manager. Alpine Mail manger is also a terminal mail app.Also have IRSSI chat.

Screenshooter is a script (antixscreenshot.sh) wrote by one of the guys at AntiX. Works well.
    Same for antix2usb.sh. It makes persistent live usb/SD flash drives. Locally grown so to speak.

Search tool =SearchMonkey
    ftp - gftp >version 2.0.19 >gFTP Official Homepage

We pretty much keep with light applications in AntiX. Any Heavy one like Gimp, Pidgin, Iceweasel, you can install. Versiom depends on what Debian Repos you enable. I have a choice between Squeeze,Sid and Sidux. I run rolling realese testing repos with a apt-get dist-upgrade every few weeks. Works for me. No reinstall needed, similar like Arch. Just handle pkg installs differently command wise as well as dist-upgrade. Sometimes I enable Sidux repos if I want the latest and greatest synaptic package manager or some libs that can only be had through unstable repos. I comment them back out when done. Like I said. Works for me on most of my gear. Kinda like Arch and Crux works for you guys. Still gonna try a Crux 2.7 install in VM later since I just learned how to run Sun Oracles Virtual Box on my Dual Core 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop. Practise, Practise, and more practise till learn what the heck I am doing in Linux.

Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast