Find the answer to your Linux question:
*If there is already a post that answers this question, then you may link me to that one* I have a recent 2.6 linux kernel that of course has no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding an X window manager to a bare 2.6 kernel

*If there is already a post that answers this question, then you may link me to that one*

I have a recent 2.6 linux kernel that of course has no interface yet. I found a window manager that I happen to like - VTWM, but I have never done a task like this before. Do I just add the XWM files to the kernel, or do I need to compile the kernel into an iso image first, then install it?

A link to a tutorial, or even just someone's time would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but you'll need more than just the kernel itself and a window manager to have a usable operating system. You can check out Linux From Scratch if you are wanting to build your own distro:

Welcome to Linux From Scratch!

Otherwise, you can pick any distro that would suit your needs, and if you want a different kernel you can add it along with the window manager that you like. There are some very minimal, lightweight distros out there if that's what you are trying to achieve in the end.
    oz