Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey folks im new to linux and im trying to change the "K" icon on the taskbar in mandrake 9.1 running KDE, i cant figure out how to change that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE Menu Icon Question

Hey folks im new to linux and im trying to change the "K" icon on the taskbar in mandrake 9.1 running KDE, i cant figure out how to change that icon, i've managed to change the otheres. I'm sure its real easy.

Thanks in advance

Linux Engineer
    I maybe wrong but I don't think there is a way to change the KDE icon. It's the logo for the desktop and while every other application has its own icon, the KDE icon maybe special. Again, I'm not too sure about this so don't take my word for it.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    I don't think that's true, because I think (not sure here) that RedHat has changed it to its icon of a red hat.
    I haven't really used KDE much, though, so I can't say much, especially not about how to change it. I know how you can do it for GNOME, but that wasn't really important here, right?

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys its not that big of a deal.

Just Joined!
    *Update*

Yes it can be done and i figured it all out by myself i'm so proud

ok heres how i did it i have no idea if this holds for other versions beside mandrake 9.1 but i bet it does

file:/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/64x64/apps

go to this location the only replacements should be the current theme your running (my case its crystalsvg) then select the appropriate size (mine was 64x64) then select apps, the icon that you will want to replace is called kmenu.png

i then logged in as root (console ) and copied the new icon i wanted as kmenu.png and replaced the current one. loaded up X and boom it worked

Linux Enthusiast
    yeah, i only saw this post just now, but with a lot of the themes you can install, it will automatically change the icon to a K

Linux Engineer
    Am I the only one who enjoys the old kde themes (2.2) as opposed to the new (3.1) themes?
    The best things in life are free.